Anyone else in their 20’s want to support each other in this journey?

Options
I’m a university student who gained a significant amount of weight over the last few years. I have mental health issues as well as physical chronic illnesses so getting healthy is very important to me! I have Celiac disease so I can’t eat gluten, but other than that I don’t really follow any specific diet.

I’d love to connect with other millennials who want friends on this journey in this crazy world!

Replies

• daniellexorose
    daniellexorose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! 20 something here who has also gained a significant amount of weight over the last couple years. I've been struggling with binge eating disorder and some mental health issues for awhile now, and I understand how hard it can be to take care of yourself physically with mental health problems. Just wanted to let you know I'm here if you want to chat! Good luck on your journey!
  • Laura_Amez
    Laura_Amez Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 21 and due to social anxiety and others things I gained a lot of weight which made the anxiety worse - go figure!
    Congratulations on starting your journey!
    I know it can be so hard to keep going on the bad metal health days so don't be hard on yourself when you need those moments of rest between. I think those are whats helped me not re bound and gain more.
  • cedric_says
    cedric_says Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nearly out of my twenties however I have struggled with many of these same issues over the past 9 years. I've seen life coaches, therapists, read books, taken supplements, and done the best I can to stay positive and live a generally healthy low stress lifestyle. I read a book that changed my perspective completely on body image. "Change Your Brain, Change Your Body" by Dr. Daniel G. Amen. The title basically gives away his message but he is the first psychiatrist to study the brain of his patients. If you can improve the health of your brain the body and brain chemistry will improve with it. Instead of thinking about eating healthy and exercise for a healthy looking and feeling body, he suggests doing better for the healthy brain. If the brain is getting proper amounts of circulation, nutrients, oxygen from the exercise and food you eat, sleep you get, plus hydration, he claims you can improve the brains function. What if diet and exercise were for better brain health instead of body image? Of course body image would improve but what if our goals were more focused on improving overall quality of life :smile: