Gym Anxiety and Slumps!

Options
Hey everyone!

So I only worked out once last month as my gym buddy can no longer go with me! I can't be too mad, they are now in full time work after all, but I can't bring myself to go alone.
So not only is it a slump that I need to push past, but I also need to push past the fear that brought this on!
How do you do it? I know after the first time it will become no big deal, but that first step....eh!
Any tips? How do you handle The First Time?

Replies

• justinewillcutyou
    justinewillcutyou Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It’s okay to not know where anything is and it’s okay to ask for help if you don’t understand how to use a machine. No one cares what you’re doing so don’t be embarrassed. Do a quick lap around the gym so you have an idea of where the things you want to use are. Don’t be super hard on yourself, it’s like anything else where you’ve got to find your groove. I just joined a new gym and it was a little intimidating the first day but I’m starting to find my way there, I’m with you.
  • mtcg72756
    mtcg72756 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Agree with above, just get in there and look around the first time if you are worried about looking out of place. Then tomorrow you will know where everything is and now you can work on how to use what is there. People really won't notice others but will be happy to assist you in learning how to use the equipment, etc. The staff at the gym should be of help, where I go they have free trainers that will go around with you, show you how to do things, and even help you make out a workout plan for your goals. You can followup with them after a few weeks and see how you are doing, etc.

I workout alone, I find I do better that way. I put on rock music and off I go. I do have gym friends (male and female) that we fist bump one another, etc. You'll find your groove and then you will look forward to going.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I also get anxious if I go the first time after a while, or to a new gym. I found it a good strategy to just go, wear my gym clothes, do a warm up with a machine you’re familiar with (I like elliptical) and then do stretching and just look around to see where everything is. Then, the next time I start adding to that.
  • Laura_Amez
    Laura_Amez Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Thank you all for your supportive comments! I braved it today and even had a session with a trainer for the first time! Spent most of the time on the floor trying not to pass out, but it felt so great to be being doing more than just high incline on the treadmill for an hour!
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Maybe if the gym brings you so much anxiety you can take your exercise outdoors? Run outside, swim, lift weights at home?
  • Laura_Amez
    Laura_Amez Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Once I'm there I enjoy it so much! its just getting there after being used to someone coming with me haha