Wheelchair friendly excercises instead of walking

Options
Really trying to find some alternatives to walking. I am wheelchair bound and need to lose about 50 lbs in order to be put on the lung transplant list. I can walk but only very short distances before I run out of breath, I have a rare lung disease called non specific idiopathic pulmonary disease.

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Have you tried walking in the pool instead? Or a little water aerobics ? Water can be very therapeutic. Hope you feel better soon.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Rick, if you're willing, you may consider boxing workouts. Accessible and flexible. You can set up your own speed bag and punching bag to start.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    Try Chair Yoga. I can't personally recommend any of these teachers, but I've heard others speak highly of Yoga with Adrienne.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chair+yoga
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you don't have to exercise in order to lose weight. Exercise is wonderful for many health reasons, and it allows you to eat more calories, but it's not a requirement. You can still lose weight even if you do not exercise.

With that being said, are you able to use a rowing machine? Lift weights? Swim? Ride a bicycle? Do pilates or yoga?
  • wyattjenniferl97
    wyattjenniferl97 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If chlorine doesn’t increase your breathing problems, look for a heated pool that does hydrotherapy sessions. Very slow walking in the water or noodle cycling might be doable. Talk to a physiotherapist if you can they are usually good at finding exercises that work with limitations.
  • Rickc8
    Rickc8 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I am starting a pulmonary rehab program on tuesday
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about maybe using a peddler like this? You can use it with your arms while you watch tv or if you're ever feeling up to it, your legs too. :)
  • Moolatta
    Moolatta Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Check out YouTube. There’s lots of videos for wheelchair exercises there :)
  • SC_BBq_Judge
    SC_BBq_Judge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too am facing a lung transplant. I have been sedentary for over a year. I have found the DDP Yoga Rebuild program really helps. You start out on the bed doing stretching, then move to a chair, and finally to standing. I think it would really help you.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I can help! I use a wheelchair and a walker...so I can walk, I'm just really lousy at it. I had the problem; Everyone says to excercize but HOW can I do that without standing up?
    Try this video...and swimming and weights are always good.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=vPJKAG0mknI&list=PL71FF42EBB69C4E07&index=27&t=0s