Another Newbie Signing In...

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
Hi,

After using MFP for a couple of weeks, thought it was probably time I introduced myself. And what did I find... a section called "introduce yourself" - just the ticket :wink:

So - What can I say - I'm 48, very overweight, and keen to not be by the time I'm 50. Yep - I know it's going to be a long term thing, It's taken me 48 years of eating / drinking and generally overdoing things to get like this - so it's not going to go away in a couple of months.

My main kick up the *kitten* to do something came a month or so ago, when my best mate came home from work, had his supper, and curled up on the settee to watch a little TV, sell asleep, and died in his sleep :sad: . He was the same age as me, but a sensible weight, and had a physically demanding job that kept him fit. If that could happen to him, I thought "what the hell chance do I have of making old bones?" :noway: So - for the first time in my life, I decided to do something about losing weight. I've always been physically active, I've been a keen cyclist since the age of 14, into hill walking, climbing and mountaineering since 15, and haven't had a day off work though illness for the last 30 years (read never!)

I've just let the weight creep on, through not really giving a damn, frankly.

So - I've decided to grasp the nettle, and make a change. First step was to visit my Doctor, who gave me a full physical, and basically pronounced me fit and well - actual words being " You're far fitter and healthier than you have any right to be, given what you weigh - in fact I'd happily swap you your BP, RHR and blood cholesterol figures! - you just need to loose weight"

Just.

His recommendations were to keep on eating as I did, just to control the portions, and keep the calories down - while hopefully getting some miles in on the bike to boost my metabolism and burn a little energy into the bargain.

So - that's what I've been doing. As a self-proclaimed geek, a computerised way of logging food intake and exercise burn was always going to be on the cards, which is what I've found here, particularly like the barcode "scan" from my Android phone, for logging foods etc.

Anyway - seems to be working so far...

Fingers crossed, and here's hoping for cause for :drinker: celebration in around 2 years time :laugh:

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    What a sad story about your friend :frown:

You should love it here - the people are great and very inspiring. Make some friends and have fun while working towards your goals. :smile:

Feel free to add me as a friend. Have a great day!
  • hotpigg
    hotpigg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me :) its totaly true that we didn't get over wt and unfit in a day so we can't undo it in a day too. I use that on crapy days. Tends to help.good luck!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Congrats on your new journey to a healthier you! I see you have already lost 28 lbs! That is fantastic. Keep up the great work!
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Glad to hear about your overall good health! I love this site. It keeps me accountible and motivated. Log in every day! Welcome and good luck!!! :smile:
  • firefightinflip
    Options
    Welcome......sorry to hear about your friend. Glad you found us......add me if you want!!
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP! I was sad to read about your friend, but you have turned such a tragedy into something really positive for you and that is a wonderful thing!! You are doing a great job!! Good luck on your journey, and feel free to friend me if you need some people in your cheering squad :)
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive messages, greatly appreciated :happy: