Sort of confused with glycogen, hunger, and water weight

Options
So typically theres a large feeling of hunger the next day after a cheat day or something. I work out fasted so itd be obvious that id be hungry towards the end but yesterday was my sisters birthday so i had maybe 2 rolls of sushi which really isn't a cheat anyways. And i hear you also lose lots of water weight from weight lifting which i realize when weighing myself daily after workout vs before. However today i was extremely hungry throughout the whole workout and i thought that meant my glycogen was depleted so i thought i would also be lighter in addition to the water weight supposedly lost in weights training. However when i weighed myself i was about 3 pounds heavier than i typcailly am after a workout. The feeling of more hunger while weighing more made no sense

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to be in ketosis?

Weightlifting is an anaerobic activity, so it's simply not going to be draining your glycogen stores by any substantial amount.

Regarding your hunger, weigh your food and log it accurately. Eat to fuel your life.

Regarding water weight, your body keeps the water it needs from the abundance you drink. That's a good thing.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Agree with Jerome. Don’t sweat the daily mechanics of your bodily processes. Just eat to feed your workouts with mostly good food and stay hydrated.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else. You are way overthinking. And really, glycogen levels have absolutely nothing to do with hunger.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    There are too many variables to predict what the scale will say and it is best not to set expectations based on previous results. I have had upswings of 3-5lbs of water that lasted 8 days and some gone as fast as 2.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Agree with Jerome. Don’t sweat the daily mechanics of your bodily processes. Just eat to feed your workouts with mostly good food and stay hydrated.

I see what you did there.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,718 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to determine that precise of an action-reaction curve for your weight changes you're going to end up quite befuddled.

Use a trending weight app or web site and enjoy the benefits of technology!

Two sushi rolls for a male a cheat, hey? Fasted workouts too? Why am I thinking here that @Orphia hit it right on the head and you're trying for >1000 Cal a day deficits when, quite possibly, even 1000 Cal might be too much of a deficit for you right now?

If you're used to eating low carb, high carbs will result in water weight gains that will go away. Eating sushi with soy sauce usually results in a water weight spike due to sodium.

Feeling extremely hungry if severely under-eating is desirable as it will likely force you to stop doing so!

If IF is your preferred way of eating because it helps you achieve your desired deficit, then IF is useful to you! If, however, you are working out fasted in pursuit of some mythical performance advantage, well, at the level you're operating, the advantage is mythical, and you're making life harder for no net benefit!