Starting stronglifts 5x5 tomorrow

Options
jyvonne27
jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
edited July 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I am planning start the stronglifts 5x5 program tomorrow. I've downloaded the app and watched the workout A and B videos on YouTube.
I am nervous about using the power rack (hope I got the terminology right) as it is always all guys in that area of my gym and I'm not confident I'm doing the moves correctly to start. Also not sure I can lift a 45 lb bar to start.
Any women start off with like a 10 or 15 lb dumbbell and work up to the bar? Last week I was doing exercises with a 5 lb weight and I was challenged.
Any other tips for a total noob?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I started with the 45lb bar. I also started at a gym with a lot of very supportive girls(high school power lifting team). I could bench a 1 rep Max of 90-95 my first try, and deadlift 135. Don't compare what you can do with a dumbbell to the bar, it's just different. If you have access to smaller bars, sure, try the lifts with each one as a warm-up before the 45lb. See what feels comfortable but challenging and progress from there. You might surprise yourself with what you are capable of. The guys at the gym may also be helpful, give them a chance.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Don't psych yourself out. Weights at the gym aren't any different than any number of other things you lift, carry and set down again in your life. Can you get your suitcase from the floor of your garage into your car? Take out the trash? Carry four or five grocery bags inside in one trip? If anything, lifting weights is easier--gym weights are made to be able to hold onto them....unlike grocery bags! Give yourself a little credit and I bet you'll find you're much stronger than you think!
  • jyvonne27
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Don't psych yourself out. Weights at the gym aren't any different than any number of other things you lift, carry and set down again in your life. Can you get your suitcase from the floor of your garage into your car? Take out the trash? Carry four or five grocery bags inside in one trip? If anything, lifting weights is easier--gym weights are made to be able to hold onto them....unlike grocery bags! Give yourself a little credit and I bet you'll find you're much stronger than you think!

Yes, I do all of those things, gotta get my confidence up. Thanks!
  • jyvonne27
    Options
    I started with the 45lb bar. I also started at a gym with a lot of very supportive girls(high school power lifting team). I could bench a 1 rep Max of 90-95 my first try, and deadlift 135. Don't compare what you can do with a dumbbell to the bar, it's just different. If you have access to smaller bars, sure, try the lifts with each one as a warm-up before the 45lb. See what feels comfortable but challenging and progress from there. You might surprise yourself with what you are capable of. The guys at the gym may also be helpful, give them a chance.

Ok I'll try not to compare. Not sure if they have smaller bars there or not but if so I may try warming up with that. Thanks!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    When I lifted weights the first time, the gym I went to had a “women’s bar” (lol how sexist) that I used to do bench press until I could do the full 45 lbs. i also think dumbbells are a perfect substitute if you can’t do 45lbs. don’t worry about it, everyone starts somewhere. And honestly nobody cares what you’re doing anyway :) they Are only focused on themselves.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    When I lifted weights the first time, the gym I went to had a “women’s bar” (lol how sexist) that I used to do bench press until I could do the full 45 lbs. don’t worry about it, everyone starts somewhere. And honestly nobody cares what you’re doing anyway :) they Are only focused on themselves.

My gym calls it the "training bar" - a much better name than the Women's bar. lol
  • jyvonne27
    Options
    all i can say is good luck! i actually just started this program a month ago and love it!

dont skip weights either! i made that mistake and i jumped weights and while i was able to do it at that time, i couldnt lift anything near that anymore. progressively improve. take rests, recover and go at it. patience!

Thanks! Now skipping weights is one thing I don't think I'll have to worry about lol
  • jyvonne27
    Options
    When I lifted weights the first time, the gym I went to had a “women’s bar” (lol how sexist) that I used to do bench press until I could do the full 45 lbs. don’t worry about it, everyone starts somewhere. And honestly nobody cares what you’re doing anyway :) they Are only focused on themselves.

My gym calls it the "training bar" - a much better name than the Women's bar. lol

Ha I like that name better too
  • jyvonne27
    edited July 2018
    Options
    When I lifted weights the first time, the gym I went to had a “women’s bar” (lol how sexist) that I used to do bench press until I could do the full 45 lbs. i also think dumbbells are a perfect substitute if you can’t do 45lbs. don’t worry about it, everyone starts somewhere. And honestly nobody cares what you’re doing anyway :) they Are only focused on themselves.

Trying to drill that into my head- the only one watching me is me
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    jyvonne27 wrote: »

Ha I like that name better too

FYI - it is called that because that is the sized bar that women use in Olympic lifting competitions. It was designed smaller so that women with smaller hands can grip better when doing dynamic Olympic lifts like clean and jerk. They are made that way so that you can lift MORE weight and not be limited by your grip on a bar that is too thick for your hands.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

When I first started out I hired a professional trainer to ensure my form was perfect - best money ever spent. She had me working with a broom stick for the first week as bad form can often be hidden by weight. I've been lifting my whole life, but never hit PRs like I do now and injury free.
  • jyvonne27
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Congrats!

When I first started out I hired a professional trainer to ensure my form was perfect - best money ever spent. She had me working with a broom stick for the first week as bad form can often be hidden by weight. I've been lifting my whole life, but never hit PRs like I do now and injury free.

Thanks, I do have a free session with a trainer at the gym, I should use it for that!
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If you're so scared, just start at 0 lbs.

45 lbs is too heavy for me anyways. I wouldn't be able to maintain good squat form if I started lifting today with an empty barbell.

Body weight -> light dumbbells -> barbell

Time is your friend, not your enemy.

If you injure yourself, or implement bad form, you'll be wishing you spent more time lifting light.
  • jls1leather
    jls1leather Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You might find the gym has lighter bars. Or, some people have 'broke in' to squatting with a $5 CLOSET ROD from Lowe's or Home Depot - basically doing g body weight squats but getting used to the position.
    Stay up and at it -- you are 'the man' (sorta 😎)
  • jyvonne27
    Options
    You might find the gym has lighter bars. Or, some people have 'broke in' to squatting with a $5 CLOSET ROD from Lowe's or Home Depot - basically doing g body weight squats but getting used to the position.
    Stay up and at it -- you are 'the man' (sorta 😎)

I love this idea- and I could start off at home in front of my own mirror. Genius!
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The hardest bit of 5x5 find is the mindset of taking 5 mins rest between sets of you don’t hit the 5 reps. Seems so much wasted time but I can confirm it works. Also the deloads were strange at first but when you power thru a previously impossible weight it’s amazing. I’m up to 27.5kg OHP (4,5,4,4,3 at last try) where as at first the bar was a struggle for 5x5
  • jls1leather
    jls1leather Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You might consider video from the side as well. Easily show you how "deep" you're squatting, how straight your back is, if your toes it heels are coming off the floor....
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Nah. I started with the bar. I did have a trainer though.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    And don't worry about the guys or assume they know any better than you too.