I don't want to plateau

Options
Hello everyone. I'm an extremely large guy and I'm working on losing weight. I've lost about 17 pounds between June 14th and July 2nd. I'm worried about hitting a plateau possibly and wonder if there are ways to prevent that from happening. I'm really excited that I'm losing weight, and don't want to lose my momentum.

Replies

• deonbfit
    deonbfit Posts: 75 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You probably don't have to worry about that as you seem to be doing pretty well so far. Your loss will not always be as fast as the past few weeks have been though. Don't take that as a plateau. A true plateau is when the scale doesn't move for 3 weeks or more. You should expect to see about 1-3 lbs lost per week so if you are hitting that weekly/biweekly then you know you have not plateaued.

If you do eventually plateau on your journey you can try to reduce your daily calorie target by 100-200 calories, or increase your exercise.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Plateaus happen, and are normal. I use my plateaus (I've had more than I can count) as a motivator to work harder. They don't frustrate me anymore, they inspire me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Stick your plan religiously. I didn't plateau in 2.5 years of losing 150. I DID experience fluctuations, short term slow downs, and other variations.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    The only time I have ever plateau'd is when I have been less accurate with my logging or too impatient to realise I just need to wait out water weight from new exercise coming off.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I had only minor issues with "plateau's". The last round of loosing 100lbs I encountered a high stress month and while I maintained my food and exercise regiment I did plateau and may have put on a 1 or 2. But I realized that stress does impact your entire body and just worked hard to manage the stress and stay on the ball for food and exercise.

This time around (only have about 30-35 to loose) I hit a plateau a few months in. Well I call it that but based on what I am reading here - it wasn't long enough to be a plateau! i didn't loose weight for maybe two weeks. However, I suddenly then went down a number of pounds more or less making up for the stability of a few weeks.

it's not a sprint! it's a marathon :) there will be ups and downs and slow downs.

• eurotrashcc
    eurotrashcc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate it greatly!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I had a fairly long stall when I added weight lifting into my routine. But I just toughed it out because I hadn't changed anything else, and strength training water retention can mask the scale movement. It's all trends over time. Any other stalls I've had have been directly related to sloppy logging or not logging. Be honest, be accurate, be persistent. I will be what it will be.
  • BraddahAloha
    BraddahAloha Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Also don't get discouraged. Just because your actual weight doesn't drop that DOES NOT mean you aren't losing fat. Keep up your hard work!