Electrical ab toner

Options
So I am toning up nicely but every time I do sit-ups I injure my back. I have heard so many times I am doing it wrong and tried to do them all sorts of ways so I have given up.

I have an electrical toner thing I bought from Argos for nearly £70 which I have never used and was wondering if anyone has ever used them?

For those that do not know what they are, you put pads onto your muscles that are attached to a machine by wires and it sends electrical currents to your muscles to tone them. The higher the setting the better-apparently.

This is NOT a substitute for exercise by the way. Worth it??

Replies

• RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Um.... not worth it.
  • chef970
    chef970 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hey there, my dad was in medical sales when I was younger, and he sold these type of machines to re-hab doctors for those who had surguries on the abdominal muscles...they claimed it did work to strengthen the muscles, but as far as the long term effects I dont know...but then the diet industry caught wind and the rest is history. It would be best if you did some research on it. I hope this helps...
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    have you tried strengthening your back muscles so you don't end up hurting yourself when you do sit ups? There are a lot of exercises out there to strengthen your back, that is what I would recommend
  • tinarhodes
    tinarhodes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are many ab exercises that are much more effective than situps and don't hurt your back. Using an exercise ball takes all the pressure off the back. Also planks are awesome. As your abs strengthen then your back is better supported. There's no need to ever do another situp:) Bodybuilding.com is a great resource for finding specific new exercises. Kickboxing also works the abs wonderfully.
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Might be a good idea to do lower back excercises to strengthen those muscles as well