Does brocolli make your tummy hurt?

Options
I LOVE BROCOLLI, but it made my stomach hurt last night. Anyone else? or is it just my body adjusting to healthy foods?

Replies

• RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli. It never made my stomach hurt though. But I have been eating it for years. How much did you eat?
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Brocolli give you gas so yes, it can make your tummy hurt at times!! :frown:
  • anner53108
    anner53108 Posts: 103
    Options
    Broccoli can make you gassy -- I'm guessing that's what you were feeling. I try to eat it in moderation and not on a day when I eat other "gas-inducing" foods (like beans, etc.). :) Or take one of those gas-relieving pills and see if that helps!
  • alsnipes
    alsnipes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    upper or lower tummy? If it's lower, welcome to the world of fiber and the embarassing things that fiber can do....
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The high fiber content in broccoli can give you gas pains, for sure. Try an over the counter gas-x type pill. I have generic Target brand ones that work well for me!
  • uncbluci
    uncbluci Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's very high in fiber, so if you are not used to that much fiber it could give you some slight tummy problems.
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    Broccoli has a lot of fiber in it, and if you've started eating a lot of it, it could cause some gas and constipation, especially if you're not drinking enough fluids. Your body does need to adjust, but try to continue the healthy eating, and before you eat the broccoli, try something like "Bean-o". That may help.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yes brocolli causes you to be gasey. A good alternative is califlower..,it doesn't have the same effects. :)
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    upper or lower tummy? If it's lower, welcome to the world of fiber and the embarassing things that fiber can do....

soo true!!!
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not enough to make me stop eating it, I love it!
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Veggies, and broccoli for sure, can make you gassy. Also, if you are introducing a lot of fiber (from additional sources) into your diet suddenly, your digestive system may be reacting with a bit of shock. No worries...ease into your new diet gently and eat small portions of foods that cause you trouble to start off with, then slowly increase. Might also be worth your while to pick up some Beano!
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    After i adjust to the fiber, will brocolli stop doing this? Or is it just something i have to deal with?
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Start by leaning back or laying on your back. Put your flat palm right below your breat bone and rub clockwise all the way down to your pubic bone and back up again. Do several circles and this will push it through. Works everytime I get a belly ache. You may have to go potty but your belly shouldn't hurt anymore.
  • hollyboyd
    Options
    Broccoli is a fiberous food which can cause you to have gas.. The pain you are feeling could be Gas..
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase of eating bowls of brocoli (with cauliflower) and i was fine, i was eating like a bowl every day for like 2 weeks ish when i was on the special k diet, id have brocoli as a snack. But yeah it was ok with me.. Maybe its because your body needs to adjust to healthy foods, or maybe it just doesnt agree with broccoli, my stomach does agree to garden peas, thats why i dont eat them very often and only eat them if there in a mixed veg pack as i cant just sit ther and pick them all out!! Lol.

Keep eating small amounts of broccoli and see in a few days if it still doesnt agree with you then just dont eat it =)
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Turned out I wasn't chewing enough. I find it hard to get enough calories without "junk food" so I was trying to just shove it down. Doesn't work:blushing:
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    Absolutely, not agony but gassy, same with cauliflower and cabbage with me too, which is unfortunate cos I love them all. There is a fine line with me with the amount I can eat without 'unpleasant' after effects :D ...but I cant always stay on the right side of it...(she says sitting here after too much turnip:laugh: I will never learn!
  • mjmatildajane
    Options
    I'm vegan - and I eat the heck out of vegetables. One thing I can't eat, though - RAW BROCCOLI. It gives me SERIOUS indigestion. I would suggest lightly steaming the broccoli. As long as it's cooked, I'm fine. Raw - forget it.
  • alsnipes
    alsnipes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I deal with food intolerances and the resounding theme is to test yourself. If you can remember how much you ate the other night, set that as your threshold. When you eat broccoli, eat a very small amount and gradually increase it. This is a trick people with lactose intolerance should do too. My doc explained to me that sometimes when things are broken down in you intestinal tract, your body may be reacting with the natural sugars in the food which essentially acts like making wine... fermentation causes CO2 which needs to be released.
    All that said, green peppers have the same effect on the majority of people, so maybe you could get a t-shirt made that says "i eat my veggies... STAND BACK!"