Sizes and a HUGE NSV!

Options
walkwithme1
walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
So I am so excited to say I am truly a size 12! And a Large. Bye, bye 18/xxl, c-ya 16xl, so long 14! I never dreamed I would see a size 12 in my wardrobe. I hate shopping and didn't want to do it for a few more months but when a belt doesn't even hold pants up, it's a good situation to be in! So I went out today in search of clothes that fit the new me! I was able to shop in the "normal" section of the store and not the plus size and able to go to the Gap and not feel like I didn't belong there. The sales woman was so nice, and helped me find the perfect pair of jeans and even told me, voluntarily, which ones made my butt look great!!! So I came home with a pair of Gap size 12! Shocked me! I have always thought they "ran" small compared to other brands, maybe I was just in denial about my weight and size before.

(Down side to all this, I have to go shopping again in a couple of months for smaller clothes and spend more money. I don't like to look sloppy in my clothes and don't really enjoy spending money on clothes!)

Does anyone else find it difficult shopping for clothes when everyone's "12" is different? How many sizes have you dropped and how much weight?

Replies

• gingerninja22
    gingerninja22 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    thats fantastic, congratulations :)
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    congrats

I hate the sloppy look to and all my clothes fall off of me but I am waiting until I loose this last 15 lbs to hit my goal before I go and spend a ton of money, I did go and buy some new pants and shirts a few months ago and now they are all huge on me but I will live with that for another few months because I refuse to spend more money on clothes until i know I am almost done
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I went from a 16/18 to a 10/12. I am a true 12 but with some 10's fitting. I have stayed out of the Gap because I am not in sizes long- ie this time next summer I will not be this size and so i do not want to buy too many clothes when seasons change so quick (I live in Maine) I am a true size 12! in Old Navy but am told they run big... so I am not sure in other stores. I can't want to be in a place where I can go back to the GAP and a have the those clothes again.... and go into other stores that before I was too big to go into,

I think the point is I liked every pound I put on because I love food.... but I LOVE the feeling losing it...

HAPPY SHOPPING!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 22W/20W to anywhere from a 4 to an 8. The sizes vary so much I've learned I have to try stuff on before I purchase it.

When I was in losing mode, I bought all my clothes either at local thrift/consignment stores or clearance racks. I didn't want to spend full price on something I wouldn't be wearing for too long.

And even now, I always check out the clearance racks when I go clothes shopping.... and I actually *enjoy* clothes shopping. I never thought I would saying that!!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    omg love it!! 12 is truely a great size to be at...

i hear ya about the shopping..
    i literaaly can wear up to 5 different sizes: 8,6,4,2,0... or in juniors 7,5,3,1,or 0
    sizes suck !
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I like shopping a lot more too now. ALthough i am not close to goal yet, I have gone form a 24/2xl-3xl to a 16/l-xl. It is nice to be able to shop in "normal" stores. And I am also having to totally restock my bras and underwear! They were all too big too!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Check out a thrift store in what ever the nearest upscale town by you is.
    You can usually get good quality clothing without spending a fortune.
    I also got a bunch of my sister-in-laws hand me downs from when she lost weight.

I'm pretty close to my goal and think I'll treat myself on some things I love as a nice way to motivate myself for maintenance.

Which i fear will be even harder than losing.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    First off- Congratulations!!!! You have to feel great right now!!! Hard work pays off! Good for you!
    I tell you, when I was at my heaviest, (over 225) I was motivated by how large my clothes got. Now that I'm within 25 lbs. of my goal weight, nice fitting clothes and going down a size is my inspiration. I go to thrift stores, (salvation army, goodwill, volunteers of America, etc.) and I have to say I have gotten some very nice clothes there dirt cheap! A pair of Ralph Lauren Jeans for $2.99, nice Levi's for $1.99 and so on. I go once a month, and I buy a size that fits me now, and a pair one size smaller for incentive. My biggest reward for making goal weight is going to be able to actually spend money on good, "permanent" clothes!
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    i'm too small for a 16 but JUST too big for a 14. i've had to go shopping 3 times now (mostly for work pants)

i also hate shopping. i really dont make that much to start with so it's very hard. but i have to shop so i dont get fired- my boss hates baggy clothes!

until i reach my goal weight, i'm hitting the second hand stores and outlets.
  • imcountingcalories
    imcountingcalories Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I find the sizes do vary a lot from place to place, but you know what? The thing that has changed the most for
    me (going from an 18 - 2X - 3X to a size 10-12) is that when I would go shopping before I never looked for something I liked...I
    walked up to a rack and looked to see if there was ANYTHING in my size first. Then I would decide if I liked the style or color...not
    the other way around! Shopping is actually fun now!
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't like looking frumpy either but I work in a hospital and don't find it worth the money to buy new scrubs. I've only lost 17lbs and I could down a size or two but I want to wait for a couple more sizes to buy new ones. My out of work clothes are getting frumpy also but I don't want to give up some of my favorite clothes. I know I can get new favorites in a smaller size but want to wait till I drop a few more sizes before splurging.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I started out at a 16/18. When I hit a size 12 back about a month or so ago to be honest I didn't know how to shop for that size! It's been about 10 years since I have been anywhere near it. Today I still start off in the plus size clothing it takes a few seconds for me to realize that I am not suppose to be there. But honestly I shop at the Goodwill so I don't spend a whole lot. I am currently in a 10 but it wont be long before those will be too big as well. They are already to the belt stage!

Happy losing!!!!!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Congrats first off. Before joining MFP.. I was a 12/14. Now after a 25 pound loss...I am probably more a 8/10. I hear all of you about looking frumpy in my clothes..but I am willing to wait a bit to get more. I am 15 pounds away from my goal. I do plan to go shopping for some in-between stuff once I reach 145...plan on going to thrift stores.

I am going to Vegas for New Years..and hopefully by then..I am down to my goal of 135..and plan to splurge on clothes at that time

Keep up the good work fellow MFPers..we all can do it!
  • Minou888
    Options
    Props to everyone here! Getting smaller everyday feels amazing!

My heaviest was 195, now I am down to 150 and kinda stuck there for a few months. I would like to lose maybe 15 more, but decided to enjoy summer (have some ice cream and BBQ burgers once in a while!) I have managed to keep my weight steady which I am very happy about!

My biggest "yay!" this summer has been buying a bikini for the first time ever! And actually wearing it in public! It felt amazing!
    And just bought some golf outfits in size 6-8 ...pumped!! :D

Keep up the good work guys!! :D
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    There is a 4" difference in the waist size of my $30 jeans versus my $200 jeans, and they both look great.

My wife turned my on to the show "What Not to Wear". Its not the number, its the fit.

Best of luck to you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!