Would 250 cal deficit be ok?

Options
I have about 14.5 pounds to lose and wondered if a 250 cal deficit would be ok as currently im probably in a 800 cal deficit between the 400 cal I burn at work and 400 cal deficit on food. Which is resulting in me restricting then over eating so i wondered if a smaller deficit would work better. Im 35 and 5 foot 1 with a very active job.

Replies

• AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks, also i think i might fixate on calories too much at times.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It’s actually recommended for the amount you wish to lose. Good luck!
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Perhaps why ive been feeling starving in the night.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Perhaps why ive been feeling starving in the night.

If eating more doesn't alleviate your hunger in a day or two please hurry back and this forum might be able to give you some suggestions of things to try that might help you.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I have about 14.5 pounds to lose and wondered if a 250 cal deficit would be ok as currently im probably in a 800 cal deficit between the 400 cal I burn at work and 400 cal deficit on food. Which is resulting in me restricting then over eating so i wondered if a smaller deficit would work better. Im 35 and 5 foot 1 with a very active job.

Yes, a 250 cal deficit is indeed appropriate for what you have to lose.

However, it doesn't sound like you are accounting for your activity level or exercise. What is your activity level set to? If you get additional exercise on top of your active job, what percent of your exercise calories do you eat back?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your calorie deficit? I ask because MFP’s calorie goal includes a deficit already, but not everyone realizes that. Sometimes people think they need to create an additional deficit by eating less than MFP recommends, which is not the case.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Any deficit is a a good deficit as long as you’re using CICO as the basis for the deficit.
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are accurately logging your calories (I.e. With a food scale and not measuring spoons). A 250 calorie deficit can be easily wiped out due to inaccuracies in logging, especially if you eat any high calorie foods like peanut butter or avocado. (Not saying these foods are bad, just an accidental extra tablespoon of pb will eat 90~ calories into your deficit).