Butter or Margarine

Options
Good afternoon All. Question regarding butter or marg. I have used butter for years but due too a book I read "Eating Clean" it doesn't recommend butter. So I have switched to Nutelex for the moment. Have I done the right thing? Or is there another alternative? I dont eat much of it anyhow so should I just stick to butter?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Use whatever you want! Personally I prefer butter but if you can’t eat dairy then avoid it - otherwise what you like
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I use butter and olive oil for added fats. I prefer the taste and texture of these over margerine.
    We ate margerine in our family because of the grand cholesterol scare. These news items, fears and books are losing credibility with me. Its become a matter of taste and comman sense again, like the old days. Well, I speak for myself, but my grandparents lived to be nearly centurians and all they used was comman sense, so I'm going with that.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Trying to precisely define "clean eating" is trying to hit a constantly moving goal post. Ultimately, you have to decide what best helps you meet your goals
  • BrSpiritus
    BrSpiritus Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If a book is telling you margarine is cleaner than butter then you need to throw that book out. I love to use Kerrygold butter but I only really use it for cooking sometimes and on popcorn.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's butter in all my baking, and margarine on my toast. It's been a long time since there have been any trans fats in margarine.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Choose butter!
  • ThereAreManyNames
    ThereAreManyNames Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Go with whatever you think tastes better, just in moderation.

Either olive oil or real butter for me, even if they're more expensive. I had enough margarine growing up and if that's all that was available I'd rather do without.

All the stuff that's come out about diacetyl makes me kind of wary anyhow, although I suppose you'd need it in quantities to have it be dangerous.