Salad - ingredient/veggies combination ideas + dressings

Options
ahayden2015
ahayden2015 Posts: 13 Member
edited July 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone,

For lunch I'm eating salad and enjoying it, but also wanted to find some other combinations of ingredients/veggies so I can change things up a bit each week for a salad.
I'm also very interested in a salad with maybe not tons of lettuce, but a combination of many different vegetables.
I found some no salt added turkey deli meat to add to a salad or eat on the side and I like adding chicken to a salad too.

Last week and this week I'm combining a layer of romaine lettuce with red peppers, green onions, chick peas, a little bit of colby jack shredded cheese-the turkey deli meat and instead of dressing I add salsa and stir it in.
It is really tasty, but don't want to get burned out.
So I was wondering what other salad ingredients/veggies everyone else combines and most of all what types of salad dressings or flavors does everyone add to each combination?
I've checked through so many dressings at the grocery store and they can easily make a healthy salad very unhealthy with the added sugar, fat grams/calories.

TIA for you ideas.

Replies

• ThereAreManyNames
    ThereAreManyNames Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I get burned out on normal salads so for something different, I make a broccoli one that's just a cup and a half of broccoli florets tossed together with about half a cup of plain yogurt, a little thinly sliced red onion and like a tablespoon each of craisins and pumpkin seeds (or sunflower), with some red pepper flakes and lemon juice or red wine vinegar mixed in.

It's about the only way I can eat raw broccoli in any quantity and it's a VERY filling bowl of food for about 200 calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I don't use bottled/premade salad dressings. I combine oil (usually olive oil, but sometimes sesame oil, depending on the flavor profile I'm going with) and an acidic component (balsamic vinegar, white balsamic, red wine vinegar, sherry vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice, etc.) and whatever spices or herbs appeal in the moment. I do this fresh each time I make a salad. Sometimes I mixed them in a cup before putting them on the salad, especially if I'm making a salad for multiple people or if I don't plan to toss the ingredients, but most of the time I just add the dressing ingredients right on my salad and mix them in the bowl.

Grains and greens salads are a nice way to add some variety. Combine your salad greens with cooled (anywhere from warm but not hot to pulled from the refrigerator for 10 minutes or so) grains, such as bulgur, rice, quinoa, farro, couscous or other pastas, add whatever veggies you like (I tend to go for tomatoes, bell peppers, and avocados, add your dressing, and enjoy.

One combination that I've been making for decades is a bed of romaine topped with cooled couscous, chickpeas, and cremini (baby portabella) mushrooms (although you could use any kind of mushrooms you like), with a dressing of lemon juice and olive oil, with plenty of black pepper. It actually makes a fairly hearty vegan-friendly "dinner salad" (main dish), although I think some grilled chicken or even sliced steak would be tasty if you want to add it.

Salads are a great way to use dinner leftovers like meat and poultry, and to me it tastes better than deli meat. It's also a great way to repurpose leftover dinner veggies, like boiled or grilled new potatoes, green beans, or brussels sprouts. Toss the leftovers with some canned tuna (or leftover grilled tuna steak, if such a thing exists), ripe olives, maybe a little onion or shallot, greens and/or grains of your choice, oil and vinegar, and you've got a nicoise-stlyle salad.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    OOH GURL, RIGHT UP MY ALLEY. Some tips.

1) Up the volume for the same calories - just thin it out! I add some water to super thick dressings, and mix well with a fork to thin it out a bit. This is super good for flavorful ones. I'm a huge sucker for good ranches, so this helps me a lot. If you have a nice, creamy dressing, you can cut out your cheese without losing taste.

2) Walden Farms. Expensive, but calorie-free. Some of their dressings are trash, some are bomb. Mostly the vinaigrette-types, sesame ginger, asian, balsamic, etc.

3) Lightly cook your veg with seasoning, without oil! Whole new depth of flavor. Can make a large batch to add to salads through the week.
    Options: Mushroom, bell pepper, onion, zucchini, tomato (regular or chopped up sundried tomatos).

4) Switch your cheese. I love me some lowfat feta in a salad. SUPER flavorful, crumbles easily to spread throughout the salad... YuuUuuUuUum!

5) Only sauce up your protein - add to salad while still hot (preferably already cut up), mix VERY well into the salad.
    My favs: Light BBQ, Korean spicy sauces, lite soy sauce, pretty much ANY marinade you might use (just add extra into the pan with the meat).