Frustrated, maybe someone can relate.

Options
So back in 2012/2013 I lost 50lbs over the course of 5 ish months. I used myfitnesspal, logged everything. But didnt focus on nutrition at all. Just lower calories and moved more. since then I got certified as a trainer, I worked in gyms, i was surrounded by all the knowledge and amazing people. but since I've gotten so caught up in everything..I began questioning how I had lost weight. should I use keto? should I fast? should I caught out this or that. and slowly I started falling back into old habits. I feel like a failure, a fraud. so here I am about 25lbs heavier and so annoyed with myself I've given up training. and just trying to refocus my mind. I work out consistently, but my food is all over the place! I need to find balance..so I am going back to the basics and trying to not over think and would love to follow those on a journey as well even if it's not the same kind.
if you've made it this far we should def be friends! so add me and let's support each other as we work on becoming the beat versions of ourselves!

Replies

• mikhailaquinnie
    mikhailaquinnie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah I lost loads of weight last summer and gained it all back over the winter. I can't believe I let all my hard work go to waste. I am not really doing any specific style of eating. Just trying to make healthy choices and meet my macros. I'm sending you a friend request right now!
  • Graston1013
    Graston1013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yessss!!!!!!!!! I used to work out CONSISTANTLY and eat like a champ until about 2 years ago... went from 150lbs of pride to 182lbs of shame, and it's put me in this terrible negative state. life catches up and things start getting crazy when it comes to food...i try the best I can to eat healthy and do well for about 3 weeks but then have a bad day then the day turns into weeks then the weeks turn into relapse ... I'm trying to break the cycle and get back to my roots where I was happier and more confident and just Felt good
  • Cprys1
    Cprys1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This actually used to be the cycle for me. I'd vow to myself that I'd get healthy and in shape, so I'd stock up on all of the most nutritious foods and exercise religiously and read all of the best fitness pages etc. and then I would get completely overwhelmed with all of it, give up, and go back to how I was before. The thing is, the fact that there are so many studies out there and so much knowledge now about nutrition is both a blessing and a curse. You think you're doing great until someone tells you that unless you're doing Keto or juicing or cutting out this or that from your diet completely that you're doing it wrong. In my opinion, you had it right the first time. That's really what losing weight and getting healthier is all about, staying conscious about your food intake and being more active. The fact that you lost 50lbs and even became a trainer is insane! If you can do that, I'm sure you'll be able to get back to where you want. Nutrition is definitely important, but your mental health and well being is number one on the list. I'm always looking for more friends on here, I'll add you for sure!
  • cedric_says
    cedric_says Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello @bestrongbefit1 ! I can relate. I have been in the health and wellness industry for the past 9 years. I have experienced the same success and fallen back into old habits. I have payed especially close attention to people and patterns throughout their and my own health and wellness journey.

From my experience there are many variables all those fitness gurus do not take into account. Things happen! Life gets in the way. Hormones change, life experiences happen, illness, disease, injury, pregnancy, depression, anxiety etc.

Life is constantly changing. Routines get thrown out of wack. We have to consistently be adapting. What might work for one person might not work for the next. What worked in our teens might not work in our thirties and forties. We all need to become experts on our own bodies. Improving self-awareness has allowed me to build a custom fitness and nutrition plan that works for what I am trying to achieve. But what works for a 29 year old, male, who struggles with regular depression and anxiety might not work for someone else.

My biggest hope is that you are able to give yourself grace for taking a few steps back.

I personally am trying not to focus too much on the long-term goals. For me what has been important is simply defining the next baby step and failing fast so I can decide what works and what doesn't quickly.

I hope to simplify health and wellness for everyone. In the end, I've decided life is more about "why" I want my goals than whether I actually achieve them. "Why" is what keeps me on track. Sometimes priorities need to change, to provide for our families, to endure hardship, to go to school, etc.

Giving myself grace for getting off track has allowed me to keep the positive attitude necessary to get back on the saddle. :smile:

I hope this didn't come off as a lecture.