Symptoms w/TOM - this isnt cool (Question/opinion for the la

Options
Before starting MFP and for years (from High school), TOM usually rolls through quietly & w/o any problems. (no irritability, nor cravings, nor cramps etc...4 day cycle.. does what he needs to do and he leaves.. )

I know...lucky right?

But since starting MFP - i've noticed that I've been having cravings for fries and candy..... i quickly realized i never craved them because i used to eat them all the time. (so i figured out that part...)

HERE's the kicker though... i'm having cramps, and i'm slightly irritated and moody ...WTH???!!!

WHY?!! is it cause i'm eating healthy and working out that this is so??? cause i'm NOT a fan of this...

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I am MUCH moodier around TOM now than I was before I started working out and losing weight. I have no idea why, since I've always heard that the opposite is supposed to happen. I'm sorry that you're suffering through it too, but it's nice to know I'm not alone!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories?

TOM takes a toll on your body and you really need to be refueling it. Pay particular attention to your iron consumption.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i eat some of the exercise cals.. not all cause i can't eat so much after. Also i work out late sometimes so i cant be eating so late in the night
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Have you added any soy to your diet, like soy milk or soy protein? I found that it messes with my cycles, and avoid it.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    I am MUCH moodier around TOM now than I was before I started working out and losing weight. I have no idea why, since I've always heard that the opposite is supposed to happen. I'm sorry that you're suffering through it too, but it's nice to know I'm not alone!

oh i'm happy i'm not alone! ugh, this sucks!
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    Have you added any soy to your diet, like soy milk or soy protein? I found that it messes with my cycles, and avoid it.

no, i havent :-/
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    One theory I've heard is that when you work out and develope your abs, the cramps can be worse. I don't know if its true, it didn't happen to me but I had always had serious cramping. I'm no expert and am past menopause, so take this for what its worth. I hope you get through it soon. Maybe your body just needs to adjust to your' being more fit and it will settle down soon.
  • Fit_ClaudiaQ
    Options
    When losing weight, especially quickly and/or lots, your hormones change dramatically. I've noticed mine haven't been like before as well. It's actually kind of scary, I do get lots of cravings & eat a lot more right after TOM is gone. Lol. Try maybe eating low cal sweets..maybe it'll help ease the sweet cravings.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    One theory I've heard is that when you work out and develope your abs, the cramps can be worse. I don't know if its true, it didn't happen to me but I had always had serious cramping. I'm no expert and am past menopause, so take this for what its worth. I hope you get through it soon. Maybe your body just needs to adjust to your' being more fit and it will settle down soon.

i sure hope it settles... i'm going to watch it for a couple of cycles and see
  • sarahlong09
    Options
    try upping your caloric intake by 100-300 calories a day during that week. I know I stay very hungry and if I dont enough I get extremely moody.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    i eat some of the exercise cals.. not all cause i can't eat so much after. Also i work out late sometimes so i cant be eating so late in the night

Unless you're absolutely not hungry there is no reason you cannot eat late at night.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to say without seeing what you eat. If you're craving candy, you may be going through a sugar withdrawal if that's something you're used to eating. If you're eating low fat, which is no longer recommended, then you may need fats to ensure you're body is absorbing fat soluble vitamins. Food metabolism affects all hormones, not just insulin, so look at your diet. It's not the lower calories, it's likely to be food choices.

Note that fats to be eaten are those like olive oil, flax oil, coconut oil, lean meat, wild salmon (or canned pink if you can't get that), and (brace yourself): liver :-)
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    You may need to supplement some of your vitamins and minerals while you are dieting. It may just be that you are not getting quite enough of some of them and that is why you are now getting cramps. B vitamins, magnesium and selenium are all ones that a lot of women are short of. Vitamin E and omega-3 oil can also help. Perhaps try adding supplements or looking into foods that contain more of them. You may find that they give you more energy too as the B vitamins, magnesium and selenium are involved in converting our food to energy. You may find evening primrose oil helps too. I hope you find something that works.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    It's difficult to say without seeing what you eat. If you're craving candy, you may be going through a sugar withdrawal if that's something you're used to eating. If you're eating low fat, which is no longer recommended, then you may need fats to ensure you're body is absorbing fat soluble vitamins. Food metabolism affects all hormones, not just insulin, so look at your diet. It's not the lower calories, it's likely to be food choices.

Note that fats to be eaten are those like olive oil, flax oil, coconut oil, lean meat, wild salmon (or canned pink if you can't get that), and (brace yourself): liver :-)

lol, i actually really like liver
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    You may need to supplement some of your vitamins and minerals while you are dieting. It may just be that you are not getting quite enough of some of them and that is why you are now getting cramps. B vitamins, magnesium and selenium are all ones that a lot of women are short of. Vitamin E and omega-3 oil can also help. Perhaps try adding supplements or looking into foods that contain more of them. You may find that they give you more energy too as the B vitamins, magnesium and selenium are involved in converting our food to energy. You may find evening primrose oil helps too. I hope you find something that works.

I take a multivitamin everyday. (one a day for women) is that good enough?
  • sej1990
    sej1990 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    when people get use to junk food it becomes their comfort food so it makes them happy for a lil bit and once they don't have it in their life it becomes a little irritable since our stomachs isn't use to the health change so therefor we become more hungry moody and irritated and crave more. i crave chocolate hard core :^( but if you do crave something its best that you have a little tad bit of it because the more u crave something and don't actually have it you will end up more moody and more irritated.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

I take a multivitamin everyday. (one a day for women) is that good enough?

Possibly, it's difficult to know. It's good that you are taking a supplement and looking after yourself. I wish I had a cure for this. I could make a fortune. If it becomes too much of a problem it may be worth seeing your doctor for advice. It may not be related to your diet at all. It might just be that our cycles do change as we gradually get older. Mine were really bad in my teens, better in my late twenties and then got really bad again after having my 2nd child. This time it turned out I had low progesterone levels. I am much better now that I take progesterone. Loads of women swear by evening primrose oil but I can't take it :( I hope you find a solution