What am I doing wrong? Very frustrated

Options
I started my weight loss journey on March 1 2018 at 318 lbs. For the last several weeks I didn't go down from 281. Last Friday in June I weighed in at 278.8. this past week I've worked out like a madman, running, weights, watching calories (1800 per day is my goal) eating healthy, some days not even coming close to Max calories. I weighed this morning at 281 even.
I can tell I am losing weight somewhere, I've gone from a 44 pant size to a 40 (can get into 38, but just a smidge snug)
What the hell am I doing wrong? Any advice?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You're being impatient. Even if you do everything perfect, you won't lose weight every week. You have lots of other stuff in your body than fat, and that other stuff (especially water) can fluctuate, sometimes by several pounds.

As @TavistockToad said, ironically when you increase or change exercise, you can retain water. Also stress and undereating can mess with water weight too. Take a deep breathe and your eye on the long term, and don't try to force your body to give you consistently aggressive weekly weight loss. It's counterproductive and will often bite you in the butt.

Congrats on your success so far!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Nothing. The inches have to catch up with the pounds, especially for the sake of the skin. Otherwise, we'd hang like shar-pei dogs.
  • SavageBlonde73
    SavageBlonde73 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you're still losing inches there's nothing to worry about 😊
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Trust the tape measure, not the scales. Muscle is heavier than fat. Well done, you are doing fine. Also, as others have said, normal fluctuations are par for the course.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing!

Inches are much more honest than scales. Water retention happens. The first few months of incorporating exercise will change your body that the scale will not always show, but your clothes will.

You went from a 44 to a 40 waist in your trousers, so whatever you are doing, keep doing it.

Also, I would recommend you buy the "slightly snug" ones next time, shrinking out of relatively new clothes is a happy frustration, but still a frustration.
  • semperfly
    semperfly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »

Also, I would recommend you buy the "slightly snug" ones next time, shrinking out of relatively new clothes is a happy frustration, but still a frustration.

HA..I wanted to, but mama said no.
    Thanks all for the help. I'll keep on keeping on.

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    semperfly wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »

HA..I wanted to, but mama said no.
    Thanks all for the help. I'll keep on keeping on.

Next time, advise mama that someone who had lost a substantial amount of weight advised on buying the slightly snug ones while mid-journey. It will save a lot of money in the long run (having to buy less clothes), and the money that is saved can be used for something special for Mama - like a spa day for her, or a vacation.

Because I have now replaced my ENTIRE wardrobe twice now! I mean entire wardrobe, even my socks (turned out that my feet got smaller as well). So yeah, it can get expensive
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    You use a food scale?

37 lbs in 18 weeks is good. If you’re really hitting the weights it’s better than good.

A friend says- we eventually get the weigh in we deserve, but not necessarily when we expect it.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    semperfly wrote: »
    I started my weight loss journey on March 1 2018 at 318 lbs. For the last several weeks I didn't go down from 281. Last Friday in June I weighed in at 278.8. this past week I've worked out like a madman, running, weights, watching calories (1800 per day is my goal) eating healthy, some days not even coming close to Max calories. I weighed this morning at 281 even.
    I can tell I am losing weight somewhere, I've gone from a 44 pant size to a 40 (can get into 38, but just a smidge snug)
    What the hell am I doing wrong? Any advice?

Don’t worry about the scales, check your measurements. I have found having a sauna a few days or a hot spa every day for a few days is a great way to kind of get the fat moving again.
    It’s something different that will get a reaction from your body.
    Your weight loss so far sounds great! Be very happy with the progress you have made!
  • khlokins
    khlokins Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else said.
    It can be a combination of things.

A few things to ask yourself:
    a) You're eating healthy, but how is your sodium intake?
    b) Are you drinking enough water a day?
    d) How's your carb intake? (carbs can also make you retain water)

All these things can make you retain water, making you appear heavier than you are. Also muscle weighs more than fat. So it's possible that you've gained muscle with your hard work, and that could also be moving the scales.

Your body weight fluctuates naturally which is why a lot of experts say not to weigh yourself everyday, or you'll become discouraged and frustrated when your scale tips up.