Package weight vs scale weight

Options
Hey guys. I have a question for you! I'm used to weights being over the stated amount not under, so I'm a bit wary on how to approach this.

So my microwaved Mac and cheese package says a serving is 225g at 330 calories. The package says the total weight of the product is 340g aka ~499 calories for the meal.

But I weighed out the entire dish with my electronic scale at only 275g, or ~403 calories.

I guess 90-something calories in the long run isn't a huge deal but you know, if I eat this stuff on a regular basis, how should I log it? Would you use the higher package weight or the weight you yourself calculated?

Normally I round up and take the package weight but it's usually with low calorie things like green beans and such (i.e. Not a huge difference either way) Thoughts?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    That's a big difference in weight! Assuming your scale is accurate (you could weigh something you know the weight of to check), I would take your weight instead of the weight on the packaging. That sounds kind of sketchy to be that far under, but that's a whole different matter from the weight loss aspect.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'd go with your weight. Out of curiosity, would you be able to post a pic of the label?
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Does this work? I'm on my phone so not sure! :)
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I never go by what a package calls a serving or says the item weighs, as 9 times out of 10 the package is wrong. Like a slice of bread for example. The package says each slice weighs 35g yet each slice I weigh is different and can be up to 40g. A tin of beans the tin says contents is 400g I weighed it at 410g
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the weight is cooked. The package doesn't specify.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this too, largely with canned beans.

For example, a serving of black beans is 1/2 cup (or as per the package, 130 grams/4.76 ounces). Supposedly there are 'about' 3.5 servings per can.

When draining and measuring 130 grams, I usually only get 2-2.5 servings, or about 10-13 ounces in total. I always thought it was because of me not using the bean juice.....
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I wonder if the weight is cooked. The package doesn't specify.

It very rarely is, as cooked weight would depend how much the person decided to boil the pasta (meaning more water absorbed, heavier). I've seen people boil it to mush...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Always go by weight. Did the package state a total weight or a net weight? The stated weight may include everything, including the wrapper and container. I would feel cheated if I bought a product and it was 20% lighter than stated :confused:
  • Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x0Q3mrpNoI

If you can't watch
    As long as you are consistent it won't matter.

Best of luck.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Always go by weight. Did the package state a total weight or a net weight? The stated weight may include everything, including the wrapper and container. I would feel cheated if I bought a product and it was 20% lighter than stated :confused:

The picture she posted said ‘about 2’ servings - do not really surprised it’s less - that is pretty consistent with most packages I buy - abt 2 is normally 1.6-2.1 servings
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

The picture she posted said ‘about 2’ servings - do not really surprised it’s less - that is pretty consistent with most packages I buy - abt 2 is normally 1.6-2.1 servings

But if the package contains "about 2" servings, then the whole thing should weigh double (450g). I suspect that the package is referring to weight once prepared. Although I could be reading this whole thing wrong. Rough day.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    Hey guys. I have a question for you! I'm used to weights being over the stated amount not under, so I'm a bit wary on how to approach this.

So my microwaved Mac and cheese package says a serving is 225g at 330 calories. The package says the total weight of the product is 340g aka ~499 calories for the meal.

But I weighed out the entire dish with my electronic scale at only 275g, or ~403 calories.

I guess 90-something calories in the long run isn't a huge deal but you know, if I eat this stuff on a regular basis, how should I log it? Would you use the higher package weight or the weight you yourself calculated?

Normally I round up and take the package weight but it's usually with low calorie things like green beans and such (i.e. Not a huge difference either way) Thoughts?

if I am eating the whole thing(both servings) I weigh the whole thing(out of the box),write down that number, then I heat and eat and subtract whats left, if all thats left is say the bowl the product comes in I take that weight and subtract from the weight I got when I weighed the packagebefore cooking.

so with your package you weighed it(out of the Box I take it?). so you said it weighed 275,I take that number and once done I weight the remaining product(even if its just the bowl or whatever it came in and subtract that). so 275 -25 so that would be 250(just an estimate on what the bowl or container weighed). I take the 340g and divide it by the 250 which gives me 1.36 servings and I log that.Because that is what part of the meal I would be eating.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

But if the package contains "about 2" servings, then the whole thing should weigh double (450g). I suspect that the package is referring to weight once prepared. Although I could be reading this whole thing wrong. Rough day.

you would think that wouldl be the case. but often times the whole package weighs less than what 2 servings would be. heck I have weighed meals that were one serving say 320g and be only 200g after subtacting the bowl/container to heat it in. I have had this happen often and most companies will make it up to you if you complain its less than stated. while others dont care and suck at customer service.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

you would think that wouldl be the case. but often times the whole package weighs less than what 2 servings would be. heck I have weighed meals that were one serving say 320g and be only 200g after subtacting the bowl/container to heat it in. I have had this happen often and most companies will make it up to you if you complain its less than stated. while others dont care and suck at customer service.

Interesting. I've never had that happen.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I just realized a few weeks ago how crazy the difference can be. I was weighing the ice cream to figure out what the "damage" would be and was confused as the weight of the entire (small) tub was quite under what the weight on the package was. In some ways I was happy as it was happy to eat the two servings and was "saving" on calories ;)

• xfc1
    xfc1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all responses but manufacturers frequently provide more food than the label says. That's to allow for the fact that some containers will have less than expected, due to manufacturing differences.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    xfc1 wrote: »
    I haven't read all responses but manufacturers frequently provide more food than the label says. That's to allow for the fact that some containers will have less than expected, due to manufacturing differences.

and if you contact them and tell them that something is less than the package states they will tell you that happens but its not supposed to leave the facility,or at least thats what several companies have told me.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    There's often more in containers, especially in ready-made meals. The lowest difference I found lately was 200 grams smoked bacon slices that were only 2 grams heavier (I made four portions of pasta with it).