how many calories should i eat? just a general question...

Options
i'm 5'5'' and looking to lose about 15 pounds. when i have it set to 1 lb. a week, it gives me 1410 calories a day. i feel like one pound a week is too slow if i want to be in shape by bikini season, so i shifted it to 1200. then, i thought that might be too low, so i changed to 1300. i'm a loss...

i want to lose quickly, but i'm afraid that since i don't have that much to lose, i might hurt my body with only 1200 or 1300 calories a day.

all thoughts, opinions and advice appreciated!!!

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'5'' and looking to lose about 15 pounds. when i have it set to 1 lb. a week, it gives me 1410 calories a day. i feel like one pound a week is too slow if i want to be in shape by bikini season, so i shifted it to 1200. then, i thought that might be too low, so i changed to 1300. i'm a loss...

i want to lose quickly, but i'm afraid that since i don't have that much to lose, i might hurt my body with only 1200 or 1300 calories a day.

all thoughts, opinions and advice appreciated!!!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    workout harder- You have plenty of time to lose and tone up by summer.
  • amycakes812
    Options
    If you only need to lose 15 pounds, I would suggest sticking with 1 pound a week. Losing at a slower rate like this will help you to keep the weight off in the long run. Maybe try adding some extra weights to your workout routine to help you get more toned for swimsuit season. Good luck!
  • MattySparky
    Options
    deff work out harder... build some muscle and it will eat the fat as long as you "feed" it. Get into doing some big muscle movers like squats with weight.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont think you will hurt your body by eating 1200-1400 calories a day. You will lose weight as long as your excercising to your full capability 60+min per day and eating healty food that provides nutrition and not empty calories. I say stick with your current calories and boost up your excercise regimen when in plateaus....
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Livelaughlove,

Losing weight is all about creating a calorie deficit. Myfitnesspal calculates the net calories needed for each day in order to lose at the suggested weight. For example, if you want to lose weight and lower your calorie count to 1200 per day, but also work out and burn 500 calories, then you will actually be able to eat 1700 calories that day. Please keep in mind that the most accurate way to calculate calories burned is with a chest strap heart rate monitor. Again, at 1200, you'll be losing weight, but most experts recommend that you do not go below this net calorie count, as it might put your body into starvation mode and stall weight loss. Also, if you are lifting weights, you might be building muscle and changing your body composition, but the scale won't reflect your gains as much as a tape measure, how your clothes fit, and what you see in the mirror. Take progress pictures every 30 days as well, and that provides a tangible way to measure your improvements. Good luck, and you'll be bikini ready in no time!

Consistency is key. Bring it in the kitchen and with the workouts.

Michelle
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can answer that but you. It takes time, patience, and a lot of trial and error. I know no one here (not even me, initially) would have told me to eat as much as I am now, but its working, and it's much more than 1200 calories. It just took some guts to increase my calories this much. Cutting them down to 1400 wasn't working, so I went in the opposite direction.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your advice!!!
  • rabidwidowkill
    Options
    it's good to have a goal of trying to be in shape for summer but i would say try and not let your health just be about if you are under or over a certain weight.. just because summer ends and you end up wearing more clothing shouldn't hinder your health but i know how it is... everyone is right work out more to reach your goal but let it be part of your whole goal of being healthier you know?
  • catnrolly
    Options
    I have the same goal - to drop 15 (140 looking to be 125). I am trying the 1200 calorie thing, but I am starving! I work out pretty hard 60min 5 days a week. I will likely stick to around 1500 because I need the energy.

151204.png