Anyone else on Keto?

Options
Hii on my second week of keto dieting and loving the results so far:D feel free to add me as well thanks

Replies

• ABRichardson2016
    ABRichardson2016 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I’m on day 3 and down 4 lbs overnight!
  • skysmom26
    skysmom26 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Week 8 starts for me tomorrow. Down 30lbs. Feel free to add me as well
  • Anni26641
    Anni26641 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've heard so much about Keto diet and want to try it. Where do you suggest I find the best information on what to eat/not eat? All help would be much appreciated!
  • Mardy1968
    Mardy1968 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Been on keto since November 2017 and loving it. Look at thomas delour on you tube. gets into the science of it and Jason witrock, not so much science but still some good info to filter through. and this site for some guidance as well http://myketorecipes.com/

best advice i can give is stick to the transition period (4-6 weeks)...stay strict and you will get the results.
  • apompey2016
    apompey2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi , just started with Keto... do i need to make any adjustments within myfitnesspal to show the net carbs? if so how do i do this?
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    there a MFP Keto group and a low carb one if you are interested in joining
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hii on my second week of keto dieting and loving the results so far:D feel free to add me as well thanks

Howdy! Howdy!

I have been doing Keto since February of this year (so, five months) and love it. But, there are some things to know about Keto.

First and foremost, you are changing the fuel source that you body uses. You are changing from glucose (from Carbs) over to ketones (from Fats). Super important.

Secondly, you will eventually - if you are not careful - be plagued with the so-called Keto Flu. This is caused by the change from glucose to ketones and what happens during that change. Your body flushes a lot of electrolytes out during this process.....with electrolytes being essentially sodium, magnesium and potassium. A really good way to avoid the Keto Flu (or, for some, to minimize it) is to increase your sodium intake. And, not really talking about table salt (that is sodium chloride....40% sodium and 60% chloride). Get some Pink Himalayan Salt. Generically, some suggest that one should consume between 3,500mg and 5,000mg of Sodium during this time.

Thirdly, you will initially see some really big success. That is - in part - from the "water weight" that is going away (as you deplete glycogen stores because you are not eating much in the way of carbs any longer). A lot of people get really excited with this initial success but them become really frustrated when that tapers off (and it will). For some reason people seem to think that by following this way of eating that they will maintain that phenomenal weight loss week after week. Sorry! Not likely.

Finally, I would suggest that after that big initial loss that you are mindful that weight loss is all about expending more calories than you take in....so, calories in < calories out!

To that topic, getting a weight scale is something that I would really strongly recommend. And, tracking | logging your food (with the calories and the macro break down....include in that your fiber intake and - at least - your sodium intake).

With respect to macro breakdown, find something that works for you. The Classic Keto Diet is roughly 75% of your calories from Fat, 20% of your calories from Protein and 5% of your calories from Carbs. DO NOT FORGET ABOUT FIBER! Super important. Please trust me on that one! :-) However, the best breakdown is the one that you can and are willing to follow (read: keeps you satiated).

There is a Low Carb group and a Keto group that I would greatly encourage you to check out. Lots of really smart folks with a lot of experience in Low Carb | Keto (which, to be clear, are two similar yet different ways of eating).

Does this help?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Mardy1968 wrote: »
    Been on keto since November 2017 and loving it. Look at thomas delour on you tube. gets into the science of it and Jason witrock, not so much science but still some good info to filter through. and this site for some guidance as well http://myketorecipes.com/

best advice i can give is stick to the transition period (4-6 weeks)...stay strict and you will get the results.

I think - if you do not mind the correction - that you mean Thomas DeLauer…….great dude, awesome content. I follow his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTdelauer