Vegetarian Meals and Spices

Options
sarasmiles124
sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
edited July 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone, we are looking at trying a vegetarian/pescatarian diet while also going lower carb. When I cook vegetarian I tend to lean more towards Asian flavors (both thai and Indian mostly) and want to make sure I vary it up so that it doesn't get too repetitive. Does anyone have any tips or recipes that would be good and have great flavor? Seafood recipes are welcome too!

Replies

• amarna13
    amarna13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Intermittent vegan here. Definitely look into middle eastern cuisines. Lots of spice and lots of options for vegetarian food. Things like hummus, grape leaves, tabouleh, etc. I could go on and on.

Also try jackfruit as a meat substitute if you haven't already. It's great used for a "pulled pork" or in tacos.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    The traditional foods of the non-privileged classes of almost every cuisine in the world (barring those in Arctic or near-Arctic zone) include many vegetarian dishes. And for those dishes that are based on meat or poultry, you can easily substitute "fake" plant-derived meats.

But just to throw a few ideas out there: Mexican, Tex-Mex,Calimex, or Southwestern U.S. cuisines are readily adaptable to a vegetarian/pescetarian diet. Fish or shrimp tacos. Bean and cheese burritos. Chili rellenos. Vegetarian chili.

Italian spice and herb profiles can be found in eggplant parmesan, pasta marinara (look into zoodles if you want to keep the carbs lower), pasta primevara, pasta alfredo, you could even do pasta carbonara with faux bacon.

Lots of pescetarian and vegetarian options in Japanese cuisine, too. Omit rice, if concerned about carbs.

Also definitely seconding the middle eastern suggestion above.

To keep things lower carb, lean more heavily on fish, eggs, dairy, and seitan for protein, as opposed to legumes and legume products like tofu.