pain in my achilles...

Options
if there are any doctors, physical therapists out there.

I have been dancing for 8 years. the past few months, I have been experiencing a lot of pan in my left achilles. especially when I dance on pointe for over an hour. it always feels tight and after practices I can barely flex or pointe it. does this sound familiar to anyone? suggestions on what it might be. I may just end up going to the doctor, but thought I would put it out there on there first. thanks!

Replies

• coltrane23
    coltrane23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Similar issue since I've taken up running. I think it's probably tendinitis, but I'll be interested to hear other opinions as well. Really flared up on me last week, I ended up having to limp the last 1/2 mile home.
  • dancer4275
    dancer4275 Posts: 149
    Options
    mine usuall swell up after taking off my shoes. do I heat it, ice it?
  • Kristy085
    Kristy085 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I had Achilles tendinitis for about two weeks..extremely painful and didn't workout for almost a week and a half. I still wear an ace bandage around my ankle at times when I know I'll be doing high impact exercises. I found that taking tylenol and icing it after exercise helps with the inflammation. Mine resolved on it's own, but still flares up from time to time. If I have another serious flare up, I will probably visit my doctor again to look for any other damage like ligament or muscle tears.

Wish you a quick recovery!
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Careful its not Plantar faciitis....Your Achilles is nothing to mess with. I would go to a doctor, In the interim, ice (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off)
  • tnc9424
    tnc9424 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem after I had started running the stairs at work. The doctors I work for told me to take Ibuprofen and Ice it.. Do not heat, that makes it worse. It still took me a little while to get over. I usually stretch my legs good before exercising. Hope this helps. :)
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I would definitely go to a doctor. In the meantime, follow RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) to reduce the swelling and pain.
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Careful its not Plantar faciitis....Your Achilles is nothing to mess with. I would go to a doctor, In the interim, ice (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off)

yes I agree i was told mine is tendonitus but u really do have to be careful so when in doubt make a doctors appointment, how ever well meaning people are on here if they are wrong, fact is they are not the one who will have to suffer the consequences.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I started an icing regiment. I went against recommendations and usually iced 45 to 60 minutes at a time straight and was never sore the next day.
    -wtk
  • dianebarn
    Options
    I think you need it looked at, but sounds like it could be a tendonitis. Being a dancer and dance instructor in the past, I understand, but being on pointe only shortens the achilles tendon and you may have to do some careful stretching. If you are feeling pain, it is ice on 20 min. ice off 20min. It may also need some rest. Tendonitis can take a while to go away.