Strategies to avoid junk

Options
Hi all, looking for tips. I’ve made good progress on my weight loss goals, particularly by establishing good habits and setting up an environment that leads to success.

But there is one situation that keeps appearing where I stumble. My office has chips and other junk food in the cupboards. I resist it about 50% of the time, but then I’ll binge - especially in the afternoons when I’m starting to get hungry for supper. Moderation doesn’t work for me - a small bowl always leads to a binge.

Any tips?

Replies

• chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Have something at your desk to eat that is low calorie
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    My resistance is also low when I'm hungry. I plan to not get too hungry.

Do you have refrigerator access at work? When I worked in an office I kept carrots, cheese, and hard boiled eggs in the frig and nuts at my desk.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough calories to keep you until dinner?
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I had to stop eating the office treats. If I had one, I would have many more. Now, I always bring in my own food, including pre-logged treats. Having the "all or nothing" rule has been really helpful for me, as I struggle to manage moderation as well.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Keep something low-cal at your desk. Don't go into the room where the cupboards of snacks are....
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum and drinking water/low calorie drinks can be a good distraction.

Taking snacks that meet your calorie allowance too, doesn't necessarily have to be low calorie, if I tried to sit and eat carrot sticks at my desk that would make me want the cupboard stuff even more.

I bring my own snacks and basically consider the stuff that's in our staff canteen "other people's food" in the same way that I wouldn't eat my flatmates food because it's not mine, I tend not to eat the stuff that's in there. So if I want nuts/crisps/chocolate I pre-portion it, plan it into my calorie allowance for the day and eat only that portion.
  • richardhopehayley
    richardhopehayley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips everyone! Based on your advice, I’m going to try shifting my eating schedule so I’m eating a bit more in the mid afternoon. Hopefully this’ll make it easier to resist the junk!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi all, looking for tips. I’ve made good progress on my weight loss goals, particularly by establishing good habits and setting up an environment that leads to success.

But there is one situation that keeps appearing where I stumble. My office has chips and other junk food in the cupboards. I resist it about 50% of the time, but then I’ll binge - especially in the afternoons when I’m starting to get hungry for supper. Moderation doesn’t work for me - a small bowl always leads to a binge.

Any tips?

Pre-log your meals (make small calories snacks like baby carrots w/hummus for example) and eat only the foods you have listed. Drink a lot of water, coffee or green tea (don't overdo because of caffeine), decaf coffee can also be your best friend. Other than that, discipline unfortunately.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I bring everything I'm going to eat for the day with me from home...I occasionally indulge in some of the food that's in the office, but it's rare. I pretty much stick to what's in my little cooler.

This is what I do, too. I also bring snacks that are higher in protein to help me through the 3pm slump. We have a lot of treat foods at my work, but I can usually manage to stay away from them if I’m prepared with my own stuff!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    At work, I used to have hunger pangs around 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. They always had chips and other snacks in the office.

I ended up getting a dorm fridge and keeping it my office. I filled it with bottled water, yogurt, string cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc. Notice the trend that they’re all protein.

I also brought protein/fiber bars I got from www.healthsmartfoods.com - the uncoated protein bars. They’re about 100 calories and have about 10g fiber, 10g protein.

Special K used to make a “protein water” powder that would put about 5g fiber and 5g protein in the water flavored as Pink Lemonade or something. Well, they quit making that. So now, I get Nectar. It’s available on Amazon.com (among other places). They have “Roadside lemonade”, “twisted Cherry”, and a bunch of other flavors, but those are 2 of my favorites. It puts 23g of protein in the water. I’ll also add clear dissolving fiber (I forget the name - it comes in a green container and I get it from GNC) to it too. It mixes better if you use a shaker bottle. Start with about 8-10 ounces, then adjust the water in it as you want. I usually use somewhere between 8-12 ounces of water.....the whole bottle of water seems to me to be too weak.

At home, I also have a “snack box” that’s totally mine....until my daughter started using it too! LOL. I have baggies of pretzels in there, protein bars, basically 100-ish calorie snacks that I can go to if I want something to eat and it won’t completely derail me. It’s right next to the dorm fridge I have at home - set up the same way as the one I had at work.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options

Any tips?

Those chips and other junk foods aren't yours. Why are you taking something that isn't yours?

That's the way I consider food in the kitchen. Unless I put it there, it's not mine therefore I don't eat it.
  • stej5639
    stej5639 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I try not to take money to work so i cant buy anything and stick to whot ive brought in. Also, eat regularly, rsther than waiting until youre hungry. Treat yourself every now and again though and it can stop the cravings, just make sure you adjust your other calories for that day around it. Good luck.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just make sure to eat at a deficit. Today I had Cocoa Puffs and some chocolate pudding for lunch.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don’t even start. I know myself — I am not one to have a handful of chips or two cookies and be able to stop.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Free work treats are the hardest for me to resist.
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Brushing my teeth completely cuts out cravings. Maybe you could do that at work?