Finding time to go to the gym

Options
I really want to become more dedicated going to the gym. However, I find it hard to make time and finding the energy when I work a 9 to 5 than coming home and cooking dinner for my family.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Can you go before work or at your lunch break?
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    i hear you! i work 2 jobs, 6 days a week. honestly, you just have to do it. either you work out when you get home and your family eats a bit later, you get up early and work out before work, you work out later in the evening. some days i work out between my jobs, some days i work out after i get home (about 7 pm) before i eat dinner. you just have to talk yourself into it! try out a couple options. once you find something that works for you, it becomes a lot easier once you have made it part of your routine!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I used to have the same excuse. I just had to decide that it was a priority, and I started going directly after work before I came home. Just like grocery shopping, working, cooking dinner, etc. So is maintaining my health by working out. There were days I couldn't make it to the gym because of other things that were higher on the priority list, and when that happened I just picked it back up the next day and didn't beat myself up over it. Another option would be getting up and going in the mornings before work. Here recently I decided to invest in a home gym so now I can just go down to my basement which makes it a lot easier.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    i also have invested in home workout equipment. best thing i ever did for myself. no driving to a gym, just walk down the stairs.
  • Fitwithsci
    Fitwithsci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do not know your situation and I certainly don't want you to feel guilty about what you choose to prioritize, but that's what it ultimately comes down to. When I worked in corporate wellness I routinely heard people say that they "don't have time to workout". The reason people "don't have time" for anything is because they are not making it a priority. Plain and simple, if you don't make something a high priority you won't make time for it. This is of course much easier said than done but it is the harsh truth. I have a paper I have wanted to get published for about a year and a half and I could certainly watch 20-30min. less tv each night and work on that paper but I don't because I haven't made it a priority. I'm sure if you thought hard about what you do in your leisure time you could find an hour or so of time that you spend and less beneficial habits and swap it out for gym time. I know plenty of people that could easily spend less time on their phones scrolling the social media outlet of their choosing and instead get a workout in, or read a book. To cut down on time you could do some simple cardio and bodyweight movements at home, at least until you have successfully made working out a new habit/priority. Make it easy for yourself to workout and it will be easier to prioritize.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I work 6am-4:30pm with a 65 mile commute each way. I get up at 3:50 to get to the gym before work.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    It depends how badly you want it. If you want it bad enough, you will find time.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I get up at 4am to hit the gym in order to be finished by 06:30 when my kiddy gets up
    I go for a 10k run on saturday mornings in the 1hr she is at swimming lessons
    I do yoga twice a week in the evenings when she goes to bed.
    I do one lunch workout a week and make sure I walk at least 45mins during my break on the other days
    I cycle or run to work to ensure I get cardio in every day

Every one has 24hrs in the day, you just need to prioritize your values .. I put my Family first every single time ... but I still manage to get 7-9 proper workouts in a week ontop of a fun commute. You just might need to decide whats more important ... an extra hour in bed ? ... a couple of hours watching TV .... a relaxing lunch at work ? ... or an hours working out ?

EDIT: ... see my profile pick on your left ? ..... that was about 05:15 on a sunday morning, whilst the world slept .... well, not the world, there were quite a few other people exercising as well at that time in the morning
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Do you have fixed working hours? Kids you need to get to school before going to work etc? I used to work 9 to 5 and didn’t go to the gym on work days (part-time worker here), then switched to working 8 to 4 and going to the gym straight from work. That way I’m done with the gym at 5, and I can come home and start my evening the same time I would normally do.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am horrible about making time to work out at night. Thankfully my son is old enough to take care of himself in the morning...so I get up at 4 am and hit the gym before work. It's the only way I can get there. I've been doing it 4x a week for the past two years...some days it's complete TORTURE but I have to make the commitment.
  • therealmichele
    therealmichele Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    this is me, too. or has been. i really, really love my job -- too much, maybe? i lost my sense of balance. i'm technically 8-4, but i rarely leave before 8 and i have an hourlong commute. by the time i get home, it's 9 or 9:30, sometimes 10-- and if i want to be able to work out, shower, cook/eat/cleanup etc, it pushes my bedtime further and further back. i don't fall sleep easily (lifetime insomniac here), and lack of sleep was starting to feel noticeable (affected my memory, my mood, etc) so a few years ago i had to undergo some pretty heavy sleep training and i had to prioritize sleep and manage work, working out or eating around it... and a girl's gotta pay her bills and eat.

now i have a handle on sleep MOST of the time, and enough seniority at work that i have a big enough team where i can delegate a little more of what i was doing before. i CAN leave before 8, now. so i just. need. to. do. it.

when i was working w/ a trainer, it was easier-- if i'm late, session sucks or is cancelled w/o a refund (ouch). but trainers aren't in my budget this year, so....

i just need to leave work on time. or close to on time. or like... by 6. if i can leave by 6, i can work out and not mess up my sleep schedule. i just need to do it. someone help me do it. ugh.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There are 168 hours in a week. It's rarely about having the time, but prioritizing.

Make it a priority. 30 mins of good focused intense training is enough. No point in spending the day there for most people.
  • tyktok
    tyktok Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do you have time for diarrhea? Before you scroll down and read the next message, think about it. If you were at work, or at home with your family, cooking dinner, or out at a movie, in a restaurant, anywhere at all.... and the cramping and churning started.... would you make time for it? Or would you say, "I'm too busy?"

I don't remember where I heard this, but I do remember how the question made me think about how we make time (or don't make time) for things that are important to us. I can't speak for anyone else, but saying "No" to diarrhea is not an option. It's just one of those things I will always make time for... no matter where I am, who I'm with, or what I'm doing.

I'm grateful for your post today about 'finding time'. I've been sitting too comfortably in the 'don't have time' chair for a while and needed this wake-up call. :)

• therealmichele
    therealmichele Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    gumoky wrote: »
    Do you have time for diarrhea? Before you scroll down and read the next message, think about it. If you were at work, or at home with your family, cooking dinner, or out at a movie, in a restaurant, anywhere at all.... and the cramping and churning started.... would you make time for it? Or would you say, "I'm too busy?"

I don't remember where I heard this, but I do remember how the question made me think about how we make time (or don't make time) for things that are important to us. I can't speak for anyone else, but saying "No" to diarrhea is not an option. It's just one of those things I will always make time for... no matter where I am, who I'm with, or what I'm doing.

I'm grateful for your post today about 'finding time'. I've been sitting too comfortably in the 'don't have time' chair for a while and needed this wake-up call. :)

this is... interesting.
    i put off peeing (and deal w/ UTIs b/c of it, ugh) and eating (and make up for it later a little too much sometimes, ugh)...

would i put things off for the runs. hm.

if i experiment, can i hold you accountable for the inevitable mishaps?? (j/k)
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be at the gym to lose weight.
  • tyktok
    Options
    this is... interesting.
    i put off peeing (and deal w/ UTIs b/c of it, ugh) and eating (and make up for it later a little too much sometimes, ugh)...

would i put things off for the runs. hm.

if i experiment, can i hold you accountable for the inevitable mishaps?? (j/k)

Oooooo... I never thought of adding a disclaimer. LOL!
  • tyktok
    Options
    You don't have to be at the gym to lose weight.

This is very true. :) For me, going to the gym or going for a walk keeps me away from the refrigerator. Out of sight, out of mind. ;)