What to eat pre-workout

Options
flippy1234
flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
I usually workout in the morning. I need suggestions on what to eat before I go. I am trying to lean out. Thank you.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like. I don’t eat before a workout, I don’t like having food sloshing around in my stomach. I stick to coffee instead.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough 2-3 ounces of Greek nonfat yogurt with a couple berries works for me for cardio (spinning running) I know some people dislike dairy before working out.

Some people like bananas but the thought of those makes me nauseous.

Before horse riding I eat a tablespoon of almond butter, since it is calorie dense it doesn't bounce around in my stomach like a weight when trotting
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I used to eat nothing .... but I seemed to have picked up the habit of eating a protein bar about 30 mins before ...... I dont need the food, but It is a little motivation to get out of bed and sit with a drink and a bar whilst I wake up.

Its a treat .. its not fuel

but its 200-300kcal and 20g protein and light enough to not make me throw up during a heavy or hard session
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I usually workout in the morning. I need suggestions on what to eat before I go. I am trying to lean out. Thank you.

Instant oats with protein powder....greek yogurt with fruit of your choice and I mix them with powdered peanut butter or even a simple protein shake. I tend to eat light before a workout simply because I don't want to train with a heavy stomach.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    When I work out first thing in the morning, i eat a half a Pure Protein bar and chug some coffee. I always thought i needed some fuel, but last week I forgot to eat before my workout and I was fine. It depends on the day. Usually when I wake up, I'm ravenously hungry. Sometimes instead of a protein bar I'll eat a banana or a piece of toast.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You may have to experiment and see what works best for you and your gym performance. It really comes down to personal preference.

For me if it was first thing I would probably have coffee plus some cottage cheese and fruit or a banana protein shake. Then some candy preworkout. I find something light with carbs and some protein helps my workouts.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer a working out in a fasted state.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Many people who eat before a workout like a small snack with sugar/other carbs for energy. Before a run, I often have fruit, though recently I've been eating these: http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/2017/06/trader-joes-nothing-but-fruit-nuts-date.html I don't have the problem with fiber that the reviewer mentioned, probably because I'm used to a high-fiber diet.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym at 4:30 a.m. I am NOT eating that early. Yuck. I have breakfast around 9:30.