Advice re Fitbit exercise calories

Debgreasby2018
Debgreasby2018 Posts: 30 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all.
I’m 5’1, 42 years old and currently weigh 13st 7lb. I’ve lost 19lb in 11 weeks. For the last 2 weeks I haven’t lost weight but my body fat has gone down (according to boots scales, which I know not to take as gospel!)
I’m set on mfp to lose 1lb per week, not very active, which gives me 1320 calories. I go to the gym every day and mostly run on the treadmill and do some weights.
Fitbit has given me 1200 exercise calories for 13,700 steps. Does this seem high? I only usually eat about 3-400 exercise calories back as I am scared it’s way over. It just seems a lot if you get what I mean?
I’m fairly sure that my 2 weeks maintain is down to the heat at the minute and water retention from my stupid unpredictable TOM.
Just wanted a few opinions really.
Thanks!

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    That seems extremely high. Do you have negative adjustments enabled?
  • Debgreasby2018
    edited July 2018
    Maxematics wrote: »

Yeah, negatives enabled.
    Sorry that should be 1026 exercise calories not 1200. Having a bad day lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Is it synced with MFP? Like it's syncing and giving you an additional 1200 calories? Or do you just see 1200 calories on your FitBit...your Fitbit is going to give you you total energy expenditure, including you just being alive. If it's syncing to MFP you should get additional calories because you're not sedentary with 13K+ steps...but 1200 is a lot.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »

Yeah, negatives enabled.
    If your Fitbit has a HRM, maybe you have a high resting heart rate. It could also be due to your weight. Eating a partial amount back is fine, as you can always readjust later based on your weight loss rate.

• Debgreasby2018
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Is it synced with MFP? Like it's syncing and giving you an additional 1200 calories? Or do you just see 1200 calories on your FitBit...your Fitbit is going to give you you total energy expenditure, including you just being alive. If it's syncing to MFP you should get additional calories because you're not sedentary with 13K+ steps...but 1200 is a lot.

It’s synced to mfp. I don’t log any separate exercise. So where it shows the exercise calories that’s what I get.
    I’ve had my Fitbit versa for about 2 weeks now.

So realistically I’m doing the right thing in only eating 3-400 of those calories back?
  • Debgreasby2018
    kal2rxbxv6wh.png
  • Debgreasby2018
    Resting heartbeat is between 60 and 65
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    I am 37, not quite 5'1 (now at 150lbs) and I eat 1300 a day and do not eat back any exercise calories (though maybe i cheat and eat 1350 some days).

Many do eat some exercise calories but a conservative amount (half or less)

My step count is usually 15,000-20,000, and I run 4x a week (trying to get back to 5x a week after an injury a few weeks ago)
  • stacimarie1015
    stacimarie1015 Posts: 30 Member
    edited July 2018
    When you created your MFP profile you chose an activity level, and MFP expects you to log exercise. Assuming you log no exercise, MFP expects you to burn about 1820 per day based on your stats & activity level. This is deducted by the 1320 goal and 1 pound per week loss goal. Activity level refers to your job, hobbies, lifestyle but does not include exercise.

Fitbit estimates your calorie burn from ALL your daily movement. So it factors in your execise and your lifestyle. The big adjustment means that you are burning per day much more than the 1820 that MFP expects. From the image you posted, in that day you were over 2300 burned at 5:43 pm and of course the day was not over yet. Do you need to eat them all? No, but don't feel bad/guilty if you decide you want to eat some of them.
  • Ntoriousydc
    Ntoriousydc Posts: 31 Member
    Hi all.
    I’m 5’1, 42 years old and currently weigh 13st 7lb. I’ve lost 19lb in 11 weeks. For the last 2 weeks I haven’t lost weight but my body fat has gone down (according to boots scales, which I know not to take as gospel!)
    I’m set on mfp to lose 1lb per week, not very active, which gives me 1320 calories. I go to the gym every day and mostly run on the treadmill and do some weights.
    Fitbit has given me 1200 exercise calories for 13,700 steps. Does this seem high? I only usually eat about 3-400 exercise calories back as I am scared it’s way over. It just seems a lot if you get what I mean?
    I’m fairly sure that my 2 weeks maintain is down to the heat at the minute and water retention from my stupid unpredictable TOM.
    Just wanted a few opinions really.
    Thanks!

I feel I am also retaining water weight because of the heat. But feel I may actually be eating too few calories some days.