Neighbor's Cat Adopted Me...

Options
BrSpiritus
BrSpiritus Posts: 190 Member
The upstairs neighbor is a lady, about my age. Never talks to me unless she want's something because I am beneath her time. She has a daughter in her early 20's who stays from time to time but is not on the lease. About a month ago the daughter drops off her cat and leaves, presumably for the mother to care for but he just gets left outside all the time. First week he spent hours crying at her apartment door to be let in but was ignored. This led to him coming to my door because I have a cat so he smelled the food. He ate ravonously and drank water like a camel. This went on a few days and gradually began to spend more time checking out my apartment. Now he spends most of time with me as he can come and go as he pleases through my back door. He's such a sweetheart, so trusting and just wants attention. Now I don't know what to do, yes I'm attached to him and I despise seeing an animal neglected but the other day the mother and daughter saw the cat leave my apartment and took a case of the butt about it, all but accusing me of kidnapping the cat. I didn't want an argument so I just closed my door and ignored them. What do y'all think I should do here?

Replies

• BrSpiritus
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    If they don't feed the cat then they don't get the cat.

Thats how I feel about it.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    Aaaww. This is sad. Keep that cat and ignore them. Doesn't sound like they will really care.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    LMNOP55 wrote: »
    Punt.

Literally.

Punt the cat.

Like this:

jack-black-kick-baxter-anchorman.gif?zoom=2.25&w=800&ssl=

qrfk2q75h8pd.gif
  • BrSpiritus
    Options
    Aaaww. This is sad. Keep that cat and ignore them. Doesn't sound like they will really care.

There's no telling when it comes to a narcissistic millenial and a midlife crisis 40 something.
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you got a new family member. Get it licensed and microchipped, and tell your dumb neighbor to never own another animal again.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    do one of those scenes from the movie. put the cat in the middle of the hallway. You get to stand on one side and call they cat, they stand on the other side and call the cat. cat gets to choose who it prefers.

cant argue with a cat
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    LMNOP55 wrote: »
    do one of those scenes from the movie. put the cat in the middle of the hallway. You get to stand on one side and call they cat, they stand on the other side and call the cat. cat gets to choose who it prefers.

cant argue with a cat

My movie scene suggestion was better.

nope

yours was horrible :angry:
  • BrSpiritus
    Options
    bbqt7mb3xbmk.jpg
  • BrSpiritus
    Options
    ^^^If that is the cat...keep it!

It is indeed
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    someone dropped off a cat here about 2 weeks ago and it adopted us. she is now ours as we are feeding her, putting flea meds on her and so on. we asked the neighbors all around if it was theirs they all said NO we asked around if someone was missing one. no one claimed her. so. we wanted a cat once our dogs passed on but I guess it was in the cards for now
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    BrSpiritus wrote: »
    The upstairs neighbor is a lady, about my age. Never talks to me unless she want's something because I am beneath her time. She has a daughter in her early 20's who stays from time to time but is not on the lease. About a month ago the daughter drops off her cat and leaves, presumably for the mother to care for but he just gets left outside all the time. First week he spent hours crying at her apartment door to be let in but was ignored. This led to him coming to my door because I have a cat so he smelled the food. He ate ravonously and drank water like a camel. This went on a few days and gradually began to spend more time checking out my apartment. Now he spends most of time with me as he can come and go as he pleases through my back door. He's such a sweetheart, so trusting and just wants attention. Now I don't know what to do, yes I'm attached to him and I despise seeing an animal neglected but the other day the mother and daughter saw the cat leave my apartment and took a case of the butt about it, all but accusing me of kidnapping the cat. I didn't want an argument so I just closed my door and ignored them. What do y'all think I should do here?

dont know where you live but here its property if you are taking care of it. so if you are feeding it ,providing shelter and if you take it to the vet its yours. they cant do anything. ignore them and see what they do. if they dont take care of the cat then you take it to a vet so you have a record of taking care of it,save receipts of anything you buy and so on.I mean are they really going to call the law saying you stole it? do they have proof they own it? if not pee on them
  • aresvallis
    aresvallis Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Call the local humane society and explain the situation. Neglecting animals, especially if you've been documenting him coming over to your house, is illegal, so they might be able to do something about the mom. With situations like this the neighbor can turn it on you as a case of animal abduction. Daughter might be having issues finding a place that takes a cat and it's probably the mom's fault the animal is being mistreated if the daughter isn't around. Either way you definitely need to get the humane society involved so daughter can get told what the mom isn't doing, in the event she actually does care about the cat and find a better place for him to get taken care of.

I know I'd be heartbroken if I left my cat with my mother and I came back to find a neighbor had adopted them, but I'd probably also be told it wasn't her fault, y'know? People our age have it really rough looking for jobs and housing, especially with a pet.
  • BrSpiritus
    Options
    aresvallis wrote: »
    Call the local humane society and explain the situation. Neglecting animals, especially if you've been documenting him coming over to your house, is illegal, so they might be able to do something about the mom. With situations like this the neighbor can turn it on you as a case of animal abduction. Daughter might be having issues finding a place that takes a cat and it's probably the mom's fault the animal is being mistreated if the daughter isn't around. Either way you definitely need to get the humane society involved so daughter can get told what the mom isn't doing, in the event she actually does care about the cat and find a better place for him to get taken care of.

I know I'd be heartbroken if I left my cat with my mother and I came back to find a neighbor had adopted them, but I'd probably also be told it wasn't her fault, y'know? People our age have it really rough looking for jobs and housing, especially with a pet.

Yeah I don't want to get involved with the law but I also don't run my air conditioning which means I keep the back door open and there's no screen door just one of those as seen on tv hanging curtain screens so it's not like I can keep him out of my apartment, not especially now that he's attached to me as a caretaker. I can understand how hard it is to find pet friendly apartments, 90% of the ones here are no pets allowed and the ones who do allow them want a $200-$400 NON REFUNDABLE pet fee. That being said I don't think that's the case here. The impression I get is the daughter is a hot mess. She comes over about once a week and doesn't even take the time to pet the cat even though he's begging her for attention. Instead she's usually sobbing crocodile tears into her cell phone over the latest boyfriend who cheated on her. My next step is to see if they come knocking at my door now that they know the cat hangs out with me. I just think she doesn't have the time or inclination to care for a pet the way it's supposed to be cared for. From both of them I've gotten the "You're a fat a.. why are you even bothering to talk to our beauty?" vibe if I even say so much as hello. The Humane Society is not far from my place, maybe I'll take a drive over and talk with them.