Egg muffin recipes and how to preserve them?

Options
So I work thirteen hour days and my biggest problem is that I don't have time to prepare food. I want to be able to prepare all my food on Sundays,so I can just heat and eat during the week.

My question is, if I make egg muffins on a Sunday is there anyway to keep them so I can have 2 a day for the rest of the week?

And on the topic, any good egg muffin recipes? :P

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I second freezing them, I make them for breakfast and leave them out the night before and zap in the microwave for 30 seconds before eating them.

I do a sausage base with pepper and/or mushroom and sometimes grated cheese.
  • eehassard
    eehassard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've never had an issue with them going off on me. I cook mine on Sunday mornings and keep in the fridge. I take 2 small muffins to work everyday and eat them cold. I have never had a problem.

I usually do tomato, spinach, chillies and chicken/turkey ham. They are so flavourful, and actually the flavour becomes enhanced over the week I find.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I freeze mine, then zap to eat, too. I'm casual about recipes like this, so I just toss in whatever veggies, cheese, etc., sound good at the time, just being a little careful about adding very liquid-y or very dry things that will change the structure.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    If you are making on Sunday to eat over the next week, I personally wouldn't bother with freezing them.

As for recipes, I usually just throw in whatever I have on hand -- things like bacon, sausage, goat cheese, mushrooms, onions, peppers, spinach, etc.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Mine last just fine when made on Sunday for the entire week. I usually like to put ham in mine, maybe some cheese, diced bell pepper and onion. Sometimes breakfast sausage and cheese.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I make them with a strip of bacon around the outside. Add veggies, eggs and spices. Sometimes some cheese.

Then refrigerate. I've eaten them a week later without issue.
  • ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said they'd keep for the week in the fridge. I would recommend storing them the coldest part of the fridge (not in the front or door).

Freezing works too but sometimes they can get less nice texture if you overheat them in the microwave.