Endurance Mountain Biking

Options
Anyone into endurance mountain biking events? I'd love to compare notes on fueling, training, pacing, gearing, etc......

Replies

• crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bumping this for my husband :)
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    bumping this for my husband :)

why thank ya..............love to hear from him.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I wish...I am much safer on the asphalt - running & riding! Have fun & be safe!
  • evilbanks
    Options
    I wish...I am much safer on the asphalt - running & riding! Have fun & be safe!

My better half says the same thing...................... One day I'll convince her to come to the dark side ;-)
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    What the heck?? No one has anything for you evilbanks? I was hoping to get some info for my husband.
    He has been making me do some hiking trails with him. They are killer. I'm so uncordinated...plus I'm a wuss... He complains I'm the only person he knows who will walk their bike down a hill LOL..
    Good luck. I'm still hoping you find something :)
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    What do you consider ENDURANCE riding? I'm doing a race in August which is only 15 miles and they call it an Endurance race, I don't consider that endurance. Except for the fact its at 6300 feet. THey also have a 45 mile course as well, that's more endurance to me.

I usually eat some pasta the night before. Have a Cliff Bar or something like that in the morning with some coffee. I'm good for about 2 hours then. I'll bring some dried fruit for energy, but occasionally have a glucose/gel pack. Also bring some nuts.

I'm not crazy about doing the 8-12 hour rides, never done one. But I imagine you've got to bring more than trail mix. Drinking some Gatorade will add calories and sugar and keep you going longer, but be careful, it's not too sweet.

- Mike
  • evilbanks
    Options
    By Endurance I mean anything over 50 miles on the mountain bike, also 12 and 24 hour races if done solo or as a duo........just got your request. Thanks for the add
  • evilbanks
    Options
    Why thank you crystalslight :-)
  • NoemiPE
    NoemiPE Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My passion is 24 hour races. I race a singlespeed and usual gearing is 32/20 or 32/18.

I train a bunch on a road bike during the winter (lots of intervals near my lactate threshold).

Training rides need to include what you might expect to eat during a race. I like GU gels because they get into your blood stream in as little as 30 minutes.

Do you have a race(s) coming up? I would love to help with any other questions or just cheer you on.
  • gold27701
    gold27701 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hope I am not to late for this post am I, I haven't been on the web version of MFP in sometime.

Hydration will be key for the endurance racing, during the race make sure you drink plenty liquids this is obvious. If you are sweating a lot, drink some sport drink to regain the sodium that your body is losing.

Carbohydrates will be a key source of your energy before and during the race, this gives you the energy to keep moving. Be warned there is fine line between a good amount of carbohydrates and to much. Like another poster commented GU is a good source of carbohydrates, easy to carry and gets in your blood stream fast.

Not a 100% familiar with the theory of periodization, but during your training process you will have some periodization leading up to the race. Your diet should also reflect the periodization as well, in this case Google will be a great source.