Going off Atkins

Options
I did induction for the first 2 weeks and lost the weight quickly. Now that I'm going off Atkins, I fear that I'm going to gain back everything I lost. Any advice? I know a lot of people are against Atkins, so I'm well aware of all the negative talk about this... Any positive reinforcement is appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Replies

• kittrelle
    Options
    Atkins is a lifestyle choice, not something you "go off". You either 'graduate' to Ongoing Weightloss or Maintenance. Grab the book or check the website, and see what fits your situation. If you just 'go off' and eat unlimited carbs, you WILL gain the weight back, definitely.
  • GooneyAngel
    Options
    I have doen Atkins before and lost 20 pounds. But, sadly, I gained it all back when I stopped the diet. You should watch carefully what you eat after stopping Atkins. Continue exercise, and I wish you the best. Good Luck!
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Do it slow. If you slowly introduce foods back in the weight won't pack back on. But if you just go straight back to 'normal' eating you will not see happy things on the scale!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins in the past and it worked so now I do a modified version... its a way of life now, not a diet anymore.

I changed my goals here to 45% protein, 25% carbs, 30% fat
    I don't eat white bread, flour, rice etc... so I just get my carbs from quinoa, veggies, greek yogurt, protein shakes, whole grains etc.
    It's very simple and you don't have to be an "omg no carbs" fanatic :) My daily carbs are usually 60-100g which doesn't seem to matter when they are coming from good sources --- not the crap that got me fat in the first place :)
  • ClascyParra
    Options
    Only thing I can say is to add back carbs slowly...about 5-10 grams at a time....
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Try and stay away from the "whites"` white bread, white rice, potaotes, pasta...processed stuff. Maybe just try and add a little fruit back in and a little whole grains.

Godo luck!
  • jtreadwell
    jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking just keep a close watch on your weight and when you notice a couple of pounds weight gain then just start to cut back on your carbs. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Atkins is a lifestyle choice, not something you "go off". You either 'graduate' to Ongoing Weightloss or Maintenance. Grab the book or check the website, and see what fits your situation. If you just 'go off' and eat unlimited carbs, you WILL gain the weight back, definitely.
    Ditto!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Doesnt he book tell you what to do? Check out the 17 day diet, maybe start up on it it weans you off at the end. I havnt done any of those diets but i like to read up on them.
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    I did Atkins in the past and it worked so now I do a modified version... its a way of life now, not a diet anymore.

I changed my goals here to 45% protein, 25% carbs, 30% fat
    I don't eat white bread, flour, rice etc... so I just get my carbs from quinoa, veggies, greek yogurt, protein shakes, whole grains etc.
    It's very simple and you don't have to be an "omg no carbs" fanatic :) My daily carbs are usually 60-100g which doesn't seem to matter when they are coming from good sources --- not the crap that got me fat in the first place :)

I appreciate the guidelines. I try to eat more protein than carbs but its a hit or miss on the numbers. I will adjust my settings and see what happens!
  • LBR86
    LBR86 Posts: 3
    Options
    I love atkins! I am a meat, eggs and cheese kinda girl. Its been my experience, as with any diet, that you need to cycle. Hit it hard for a week or two, add more veggies in the third week and then eat reasonably in the fourth week. Then start all over again. This keeps your body on its toes and keeps you from platueing or gaining. Remember its not a diet its a lifestyle change. If you just quit its easy to go back to your old habits. Try and think 80/ 20. 80% of the time eat like you should, 20% of the time eat like you want. Good luck :) !
  • Cinnamonie
    Cinnamonie Posts: 138
    Options
    I left atkins after losing maybe 30 or 40lb and coupled with started college (buffet style dining) gained it all back and then some. Now when I want to lose weight I decided not to try atkins again because I think it messed with my body's ability to handle carbs. So you need to continue to limit them. The only thing that's killing me is how SLOW "normal" weight loss is (2lb/week max) compared to atkins (practically 1lb a day!)!
  • flabtofabulouss
    Options
    I did induction for the first 2 weeks and lost the weight quickly. Now that I'm going off Atkins, I fear that I'm going to gain back everything I lost. Any advice? I know a lot of people are against Atkins, so I'm well aware of all the negative talk about this... Any positive reinforcement is appreciated. :)

Thanks!

How many carbs did the first phase allow you to have?

I would add 5-10 carbs to your diet during your first week off, add some cardio, and weigh every single day to make sure you're maintaining. I think if you go slow, you won't have any problems. However, it's possible during the first week you could see your weigh fluctuating up and down a few pounds. It all depends on how your body will react.

I think the book explains the maintenance phase, so you should read up on it. It should tell you how many carbs you're supposed to add to your diet.

Avoid breads and pastas that first week for sure. Stick to protein! Go to smoothie king and have them make you one of their low-carb smoothies for lunch or something, then have grilled chicken + veggies for dinner. (: Hope everything works out for you.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess my biggest struggle was this weekend because of birthday celebrations and what not, creme brule was my downfall. I knew this past weekend would be tough because of all the foods that were in front of me. Even though I couldn't really keep track of my carb intake, I kept track of my calories and continued to work out. It's just getting back on the right path.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    if low carb works for you but you need regular 'breaks ' try something like the anabolic diet

http://stronglifts.com/anabolic-diet-101-the-definite-anabolic-diet-guide/
  • Amyding115
    Amyding115 Posts: 120
    Options
    Going of Atkins is hard, I've done it before. I wouldn't just stop cold turkey. I would actually go onto a "low carb" diet. I actually do this now. While it's low carb, it's not like induction for Atkins. It's between 30 and 50 grams of carbs per meal (this is generally the rule followed by diabetics as well). I would work carbs back in gradually up to that point, while still maintaining a good workout. Good luck and don't get discouraged.
  • kittrelle
    Options
    Not trying to harp on the subject, but all the advice we're giving is already in the Atkins book....OWL is when you slowly add carbs back on in 5 gram increments...(more veggies, dairy, nuts and seeds, berries, alcohol, whole grains, etc) In premaintenance (I'm not there yet!) I believe you add them in 10 gram increments...it's all to help you find your CCL, or carb count that you either still lose or maintain your weight (whichever you prefer) Again, I'd urge you to consult the book. Why make more work for yourself when it's all laid out?? If you can't get your hands on the book go to the ATkins bulletin board site and look at some of the stickies about OWL, Premaintenance and Maintenance.
  • jpamplin28
    jpamplin28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight on a lower carb plan. On that plan carbs were limited to 100 a day with a 40/40/20 ratio. I stopped losing on that plan after I started focusing more on fitness so I needed more calories. Now I do 1200 cals and still keep the 40/40/20 ratio so I try to keep my daily carbs under 120.