Ladies, that time of the month. Staying on track advice plz ?

Options
Sassyk35
Sassyk35 Posts: 113 Member
edited July 2018 in Getting Started
Hi I just recently started over. I fell off the wagon so to speak. BUT this is it I am more determined than ever before. I have lost 6.5 lbs in a couples weeks so I'm excited to continue.
I'm wondering how you ladies stay or track at that time of the month? I get cravings & I'm always hungry with PMS. I'm looking for some tips on curbing those feelings.
Thanks in advance :)<3

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My approach to staying on track during my monthlies: I increase my calories by 150 - 170, plus my hydration, conscious of this plus the usual - climate, activity level, etc.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a lot of low calorie, high volume food. Lots of veggies and low calorie dip, yoghurt with lots of berries, bulk up anything I can with veg or beans. I also let myself have what I'm craving (chocolate and peanut butter this month) and try to get some walks in to bump my calories up a bit. But hey, if I go over my calories a little a couple of days, I'm still in a deficit, so it's not a big deal.
  • jackieza28
    jackieza28 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you are craving something sweet the Advantage Edge carb control drinks are good. My favorite is the dark chocolate. It’s only 100 calories. 5g of carbs, 0g of sugar and 17g of protein. I get them at Walmart and Kroger’s.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm struggling with it this month. Some months I barely notice a difference, but this week with aunt flo arriving I've been really hungry and really tired (the hormonal sleepy feeling). I've been pushing myself to exercise even though I don't feel like it, mostly so I can have the foods I'm craving (which was cinnamon sugar pretzel nuggets from Auntie Anne's yesterday).
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Iron rich foods, hot chocolate, tea, and some quality down time to cut down on stress eating.
  • Sassyk35
    Options
    So I'm feeling a Lil disappointed because I just weighed myself & I'm up 3lbs. I ate less than my maintenance calories everyday the most I've had was 2,000 cal 1 day the rest were under 2,000 calories. My maintenance cal are 2,590 not including exercise. Ugh :(
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 10,000 extra cals, it's water weight. You just need to get used to the fact that your monthly hormonal cycle (along with plenty of other things that are not fat) will naturally cause your weight to fluctuate throughout the month. If you're lucky there will be a pattern. You have to look at the long term, understand the process, and be patient.
  • cassiebajjey
    cassiebajjey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Magnesium and iron supplements are the two things I WISH I knew about a long time ago. Maybe I would have been in a better mood.. Maybe.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Once I am in a healthy routine, that does not tend to make me veer off path. The only thing it may do is discourage me from walking, but food wise I stick to it. Perhaps that could be the same for you?

Also great job on the weight loss!
  • Sassyk35
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies for your advice & support. I know it's normal. I guess I just needed the reassurance. My period has derailed me before but I am so determined now that it just bugged me. But I was also on Vaca and had 6hr drive on Friday & Sunday to & from NYC. But I tracked everything I ate & never went over.
    <3<3<3<3<3
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance. I'm definitely hungrier the first couple days of my period and I don't sweat it. I just ate a packet of Lance peanut butter crackers out of the vending machine here at work. I logged it, ate it and I'm moving on.
  • Sassyk35
    Options
    ps i am eating emergency peanut butter cups right now and if MFP has a problem w/ it, they can talk to my uterus. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Lol you tell'me girl !! <3
  • Sassyk35
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I know I shouldn't but I was just curious so I weighed myself again this morning & it reads that I'm up 3lbs since yesterday on the same scale wth ugh I drink over 70oz of water yesterday & my intake was less than 1800 & I did 9,000 steps.
    I really appreciate the support & advice it's just frustrating.
    I know it must be water weight I just don't really have anyone else to talk to about it that would understand. So thank you thank you thank you for listening. <3
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    ps i am eating emergency peanut butter cups right now and if MFP has a problem w/ it, they can talk to my uterus. 🤷🏻‍♀️

This. I may move things around so I can indugle (without ruining the entire week) on the really bad months. Usually I do ok with food switches to allow mega chocolate dose without going over...or going over much.