Is it possible...

Options
Is it possible to grow your hips with strength training or possible to be thicker?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Up to a point. You could grow your thighs and butt a little bit with consistent progressive training and time, but hip width is a function of your bone structure. No large muscles around hip bones to grow enough to make a difference.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    To a point as mentioned. Growing your legs and glutes, in particular the gluteus medius which is on the outer pelvis. However .. it might not make a significant difference, not to mention it can take years and years of muscle building cycles. The biggest difference will come from genetics and how you store fat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I've not seen hip width growth but I have had glute development (I guess you'd say thicker rather than wider) from lifting.
  • JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts do you do?
  • JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My goal is to have a really big butt but idk how to train
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If you want large muscular glutes, you need to gain muscle. This can be slow.. it can take years (depending on genetics), it requires proper training as well as ideally a surplus or at least eating at maintenance (although this will be a lot slower).

More information will help.

What are your stats? Are you at or close to your goal weight? If so you can eat at maintenance. If you are very lean you can gain. If you are overweight/still have weight to lose, eat in a deficit (unfortunately in this case glute growth will probably not be very significant until you eat at least at maintenance)

Following proper programming and getting enough protein as well.

I ran Strong Curves in the past (so glute focused lifting), now I run similar programming.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Years of training for a bigger butt, change of parents or implants for a really big butt. Most women with the typical big butt seen in pictures are genetically predisposed to store fat there.
  • imaproudmomma
    imaproudmomma Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes! Keep adding weights, and push yourself, also try some activating exercises to target the muscles you want to grow! Keep up the work lady ❤️
  • imaproudmomma
    imaproudmomma Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Jarettzy18 wrote: »
    My goal is to have a really big butt but idk how to train

Hip thrust, dead lifts, back extensions, kickbacks, Bridges, hip abductors three ways, lunges, courtesy lunges, goblin squats, one legged hip thrusts with dumbbell, stiff leg deadlift and one leg deadlift, Romanian squats, squat pulses, rope pull through, fire hydrants, hamstring pulls. Use resistance bands and weights 10-16 reps 3-4x each. Adding more weight if it’s to easy, you should be struggling to get your last few reps in, if you aren’t add more weight. When you add more weight you a pushing your self. Also try flute activated exercises to warm up the area before you do this, and when you finish be sure to do lots of stretches. Drink bcaa’s to keep you pushing you also can take glutamine or l-glutamine supplements to help boost the growth but absolutely not necessary. Make sure to eat protein high foods 45m to no more than a hr after your workout. And try not to eat before the gym if you do eat light like a banana. It will help you push harder! Good luck lady. I definitely grew a big booty doing these workouts!