Do you get enough potassium?

Options
I am eating pretty well these days, but I never get near my recommended daily amount of potassium. I eat yougurt, bananas, potatoes, spinach, and sweet potato regularly, and they’re all high in potassium.

In a way, it’s academic, as I have to take prescription potassium pills daily to keep a safe level of potassium. But I was just surprised at how little I eat.

Just curious whether others’ potassium intake is meeting the recommended amount.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Potassium isn't required on labels, therefore it's not on all the database entries. You are likely getting more than you think. I take it your potassium lab values are low.
  • joann23456
    joann23456 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    They are low, which is why I notice that level on my daily nutrition summary. That’s interesting about it not being required on labels, though I’m mostly eating food from single ingredients, and using the MFP values.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    joann23456 wrote: »
    They are low, which is why I notice that level on my daily nutrition summary. That’s interesting about it not being required on labels, though I’m mostly eating food from single ingredients, and using the MFP values.

Most of the MFP entries are user entered, so there is a lot of inaccuracies. If you are eating things like whole foods, then I would compare against the USDA information to check for accuracy. Sometimes adding that to the search bar will bring up more accurate entries. At the end of the day, I don't worry about the potassium much because of this. Of course, for you it's more important.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    joann23456 wrote: »
    I am eating pretty well these days, but I never get near my recommended daily amount of potassium. I eat yougurt, bananas, potatoes, spinach, and sweet potato regularly, and they’re all high in potassium.

In a way, it’s academic, as I have to take prescription potassium pills daily to keep a safe level of potassium. But I was just surprised at how little I eat.

Just curious whether others’ potassium intake is meeting the recommended amount.

At the moment I'm eating none of the foods you've stated as being high in potassium, and im not eating a lot (personal experiment).... I don't really rely on mfp for micronutrient intake, but according to my diary, I'm close to the recommended amount. I do eat a decent amount of chicken, salmon and broccoli though, which are good sources too.
  • braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There’s a snack sold called ‘Banana Bites’. They are dehydrated bananas. Less calories than a banana (110/serv) and almost double the potassium (800mg/serv). I use these to help up my potassium intake. Avocados are also a good source