Dealing with temptation... anyone else does this?

Options
Just curious.

I usually do not keep much processed food at home as I am not one of those people who can resist temptations.

But once in a while, that stuff makes its way to my place. Chocolate gifts, cookies, birthday cakes. My husband does not want to give it away or throw it. And, he is a very controlled eater. One serving and he is done.

It is funny, everytime that happens, I finish it all up as soon as possible so I can get along with my routine food the next day. It does not happen suddenly, I take one serving, then two and then go all out telling myself that it would be all god once this stuff is finished.

Does anyone else do it?

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Not any more. I have done something similar in the past, but I'm really trying to reframe my relationship with food and that kind of self-stuffing is a pattern I don't want to repeat.

I don't have a husband to contend with, so I give stuff away. I take it to work, or the fire station next to my Sunday service.
  • AngelMTodd
    AngelMTodd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have done similar things in the past. My husband loves to have sweets and treats once and awhile, so I know the feeling of having a spouse that does not want to get rid of it. I really am going to try and keep away from these things. I have gotten to the point where it is a little easier to resist, I just have to keep telling myself that I am not going to get out of the funk I am in if I keep giving into the temptations!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I have pretty good self control over most foods. The couple things I have trouble with, I try not to keep in the house. For me it is tortilla chips and Haagen Daaz ice cream.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I used to. It took a long time to learn control, but it was well worth it. I didn't want to give up my favorite treats. Can you put the extra into the freezer right away, so it's less tempting? Remind yourself that it's okay to have one serving, as long as you've fit it into your calories and you've followed your plan the rest of the day.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yup that’s me! I’m finding the app is helping me stay in check, it’s like having boundary’s especially since I share my diary, I will feel ashamed if friends see it and see me pigging out!
    We went birthday present shopping today and got some chocolates for someone and I had a huge argument in my mind about not needing to buy a “spare pack” of chocolates for at home.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I do this a lot and I log it and end up not eating some other things and/or increasing exercise. I concentrate my discipline on the bottom line - making the total fit under goal. I start making rational decisions thinking back on missing my late night fruit snack - was it worth it? Sometimes the answer is yes.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I always prelog all the food that I eat. If it doesn't fit into my calorie allotment then I don't eat it. Food is only off limits if I don't have enough remaining calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will finish something to get it over with but I do put food in the freezer, give it away or trash it more often.
    If my husband had an issue with me giving away or throwing out excess food then he could store it somewhere outside the home or eat more himself.

I have unfrosted cupcakes or muffins in the freezer. I can take out just one or two to thaw and leave the rest frozen.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'll tell myself "well now you can't eat that tomorrow" but I do mean it ironically to myself. One of my rules now is that if you bring food and it doesn't get eaten, you have to take it away with you when you go. At the very least, it's less wasteful as it seems to make people more thoughtful about what they buy and bring. One of my pals makes the most delicious lavender shortbread but pounds and pounds at a time. I'll sacrifice a piece of my good tupperware to make sure they leave with someone :D I'm pretty good about rehoming or trashing what I'd rather not be eating.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Some foods I simply must eat ALL of, or not have them around at all. Hubby got me some candy for Valentine's day and I made him only give me 1-2 pieces when I asked for them, otherwise I would eat the whole box. Same with pizza. I gotta eat all the pizza, so unless I have calories for ALL the pizza, I'm not gonna have pizza. I'm a card-carrying member of the clean-your-plate club, so if I can't eat ALL of whatever food (only trigger foods like pizza and candy and such), it doesn't get to live in my house.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat foods that I won't be able to just have a bite of. Honestly--and go ahead, woo away--eating keto has changed my palate and I do not crave sweets the way I used to. I can cook and serve S'mores brownies and not eat a single bite or wish I had a bite. I find I'm less worried about being tempted and just making sure I have enough of the foods I want myself to eat around so I'm not making choices I'll regret because I'm legitimately hungry.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

I usually do not keep much processed food at home as I am not one of those people who can resist temptations.

But once in a while, that stuff makes its way to my place. Chocolate gifts, cookies, birthday cakes. My husband does not want to give it away or throw it. And, he is a very controlled eater. One serving and he is done.

It is funny, everytime that happens, I finish it all up as soon as possible so I can get along with my routine food the next day. It does not happen suddenly, I take one serving, then two and then go all out telling myself that it would be all god once this stuff is finished.

Does anyone else do it?

I used to be like this, but after several years of focusing on IIFYM it isn't an issue. Temptation for me is usually within ice cream or cereal. I will scoop out 1/8 - 1/4 c. of cereal, snack on it and be done. Satisfied. As for ice cream, I only buy Halo Top, Enlightened and stuff like that. But even now we have a whole gallon of mint chocolate chip in the freezer and I haven't taken a bite. I'd rather use my macros on the good stuff LOL
  • MovingRumsAss
    MovingRumsAss Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just did this a few days ago. My family got ice cream, I got Ben & Jerry's so it was measured. The first night I did well to eat one serving. A few days later I finished the whole container to get it out of the house.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    That is me....my husband is so controlled when it comes to eating and me if it's there, I will eat it (if it's something I like). There are many things I can pass on but fresh baked goods don't survive at my house neither does kettle corn or M&Ms lol
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    This is part and parcel of the all or nothing dieting mentality that most of us have faced at one time or another. Today, I got all of the 'bad' foods out of the house and they were delicious.

First rule of business, start by no longer assigning moral judgments to foods. Good or bad, naughty or nice, clean or dirty, all or nothing. Give yourself permission to eat anything you want but pay for them as you go. Track your portion before you eat it, then simply enjoy. There are only choices and consequences. When you pay for each item like you do at the grocery store you won't fill your cart with all of the things. But you can have some of the things every day if you want to.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream is my weakness and our store does not carry the single serving size of my favorite brand (small town/only one grocery store for 100 miles). I have been known to bring home 1/2 gallon, eat a bowl (or two) and then shove the rest down the garbage disposal. If I don't, I could seriously eat the entire thing in one day. :-O
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Apple pie has a lot of calories. I eat 1200 a day so don’t bank any. If I have a half a piece of pie, I usually want the other half, really really want it (400 cal). If I have none of the pie, I do much better. It’s a work in progress, this eating in moderation. Going on about a half century now! (I’m 63).