I'm 60+ and taking it slow

Options
I am a veteran and enjoyed running in my prime. I have been teaching middle school for years and felt the running I did between classes to get a minute in the bathroom or 5 minutes to down a sandwich was plenty of activity, even as I watch the scale go up and up 15 pounds every 5 years. Now I am retired and focusing on getting my weight down and be more active. I started 6 months ago on an incline tread mill five days a week and calisthenics twice a week. Saw such a difference, I gained definition and lost inches but the weight stayed the same. After better weather I started power walking outside in the morning for 40 minutes three days a week, and lots of heavy yard work for 1 1/2 to 2 hours every morning.
My diet has always been low fat, but enjoyed the bread and pasta. After getting my inches down I decided I had to either fish or get out of the boat. Researched a high protein / no or low carb diet and have adjusted the content of my diet but was still not counting calories.
I am not losing weight, I gained a couple pounds. I have leveled off and am not losing inches, seems my stomach fat is winning. I signed in with MFP and found 1200 calories will put me at the weight I hope for by the end of the year or next spring.
My husband is verbally supportive, and notices all the changes, but refuses to join me. So I am hoping for some friends around the same age here on MFP. Thanks

Replies

• cardglor
    cardglor Posts: 29
    Options
    I turned 61 this year and have had to change my lifestyle, including weight and exercise, because of breast cancer. Fat cells just love to store estrogen! I have been following the GI Plan sort of but staying within the calorie range of MFP. I want to tighten up on the GI plan because I find that it helps stabilize my blood sugar level. GI stands for Glycemic Index and I have followed a book called the GI Plan by Rick Gallop. Its easy to follow and gives me an idea of what foods I need to watch out for..both good and not so good. I'm taking it easy and am content to lose 1 pound a week. The exercise is a challenge although right now I'm involved in a fitness class for cancer survivors so it gives me an incentive to get there and I feel better once I go through my workout. I'll be glad to support you in any way I can.
  • rufflestx
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I am also a computer geek, and will have to investigate your challenges concerning "GI". Will enjoy sharing with you my successes and will need your help getting me through my slips.
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm not your age, BUT I wanted to respond because I'm trying to convince my mom, who is 61 to join. So keep up the great work and keep me in your prayers to get my mom on board. :flowerforyou:
  • rufflestx
    Options
    It was my 40 year old son who encouraged me to find MFP. Our little family has much in common with yours. Thanks for your reply.
  • cardglor
    cardglor Posts: 29
    Options
    Let me know how you are doing. I like this website for a lot of reasons including the support that people can offer each other.