Cooking Fish

Options
jimjamsjet
jimjamsjet Posts: 57 Member
I am a complete noob when it comes to fish. Usually hate it but am trying to teach myself to love it. I bought some boneless, skin on dory fillets and was wondering what everybody thinks the best way to cook them would be. Thanks!

Replies

• Sprinkie09
    Sprinkie09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Fish-
    Like tonite thats what Im making. Im seasoning it w/garlic, pepper, onions,& some spanish seasonings. I'll wrap it in alluminum & then grill it. It cooks very quickly. Also sauteed onions-then place seasoned fish over & let cook.. delish!
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Pan frying in a tbs. of butter is my favorite way to cook fish.

Heat butter, but don't let it burn.
    Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels.
    season each side with salt, pepper, fresh herb of your choice (I like thyme) and a light sprinkle of garlic powder.
    Fry each side about 4 to 5 minutes, starting on skin side down, depending on the size of the fillets.

Enjoy. Let me know how it works out for you. Good luck!
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    Dory isn't very common where I live, but it looks to be about the same flavor and consistency of halibut.

I love to poach fish. Get a sheet of aluminum foil and put the fish skin side down on it. Rub with a very small amount of olive oil (this isn't necessary with fattier fish like salmon). Add minced garlic and lemon slices to the top. You can also add dill or sweet onion slices. Wrap the fish up in the foil loosely, crimping the edges so that the heat won't escape. Be sure to leave room between the top of the fillet and the foil.

Place foil packets on a baking sheet and bake at the equivalent of 400 degrees farenheit. Check the fish after 10 minutes if it is a thin filet, 15 to 20 if it is a couple of inches thick. Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.

Enjoy!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I had to look up what Dory is! Ha. Sorry. But it's a flaky white fish right? You could do a nice cajun seasonin blend on that, spritz it with olive oil and broil it quickly, maybe 4 minutes each side.

I had to Google it, so here is a tasty and easy sounding recipe I found: http://www.knowingfood.com/seafood/baked_dory_lemon_sauce.html

You can also make some nice fish tacos, if you coat it with taco seasoning, broil it and break it into pieces. Serve it in a corn tortilla with some nice shredded cabbage, light cheese, salsa, and diced avocado...yum!

Enjoy it!
  • southwestern25
    Options
    i cook everything on george foreman grill- i luv it!
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    I put the fish in individual aluminum packets and use salt, pepper, Old Bay if you like it, lemon juice a 1/2-1 tsp of whatever margarine or butter that you use, then I slice onions, tomato and green pepper and cover the fish with it. I wrap the fish nice and tightly in the aluminum and grill or bake it.

With the individual packets, you can adjust the toppings and seasoning to suit each diner's tastes. My husband likes Old Bay, I do not. He likes more lemon than I. The veggies are nice and steamed and the flavor is infused into the fish....I've used this on all types of fish with great success. Even my hard to please mother-in-law loves this recipe.:laugh:
  • NJmom2002
    NJmom2002 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've never had Dory but if it is like Tilapia like one poster said cover it in some flour and panko bread crumbs. Cook in the oven until flaky and top with a lite covering of alfredo sauce. I use whipping cream, garlic, salt and pepper. I just put enough to have a little sauce to it. Top with Parsley. Yummoooo
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you are supposed to eat the skin...
    Heat Pan on high until it begins to smoke. add a TBSP of olive oil. Put fish in pan SKIN SIDE DOWN--use tongs.
    Sear Fish for six minutes - do not move the fish during this time or the skin will stick to the pan.
    Turn fish over and cook for one minute.

My latest topping was a sweet salsa:
    diced tomato, diced orange, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno and salt
  • saucysal
    Options
    I like to have fish with an Asian style soup.
    Chopped frozen peppers
    Chopped frozen onion
    chopped garlic
    grated very lazy ginger
    1/2 veggie stock cube
    A few chilli flakes
    Cover the whole lot with water, bring to the boil and then simmer until cooked. Take off the heat and add light soy sauce. Pour into dish and place fish on top. Fish can be poached in the soup, grilled or fried.

Quantities are according to taste.

This is ready in about 10-15 mins. Quick, easy and tasty. :drinker:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    BUMP!