Nearly Vegan looking for helpful hints

Options
Have been lacto-ova veggie for over 30 years and am now realizing that I must be vegan or nearly so to maintain a healthy weight/BMI. Have read some of Drs. Barnard, Fuhrman, and similar's works/comments and seen their recipes. Are others experienced in this arena and have any useful comments?

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Go to your local library and check out any and all cookbooks that they have on vegan cooking...many of them have lots of tips and helpful ideas in them as well. Good luck on your journey!!
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm ovo-lacto and I have to occasionally eat fish because of my lipids. I'm having no problem with the foods I eat. I make my own yogurt from 1-1/2% milk (can't drink it so I make yogurt from it) I don't eat that many eggs, but I do eat cheese. I'm slowly getting my weight off and will continue to do so until my goal.....almost halfway there...I guess nobody can see the recipes I put on here, but me....which is too bad because they are so good, and good for you too! Good luck with your tasks, and happy eating!!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Not a Vegan at all, but love this ladies website for ideas.....Google "Oh She Glows"

http://ohsheglows.com/
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't know what "useful" comments you're looking for, but there's some good info on vegan nutrition in the books Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis and Thrive by Brendan Brazier.
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i've been vegan for over 5 years, glad to answer any specific questions you have, feel free to message me.
    Fatfreevegan.com is a great resource. Veganomicon is my favorite g0-to cookbook, as well as vegan vittles.

good luck to you on your journey.
  • eodell1
    eodell1 Posts: 14
    Options
    Skinny B*tch is a short, humorous read.
    Food Revolution by John Robbins is a rather thorough and very compelling book about why to be vegan.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    World Peace Diet by Dr. Will Tuttle !!! He's a genious. I took his World Peace Diet Facilitator class too. He's wonderful and peace promoting.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Thrive by Brenden Brazier is an amazing book. He is a vegan triathelete and is the owner of Vega products. It is a great read about vegan fitness and there are plenty of recipes in it.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm too poor to be vegan.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Not a Vegan at all, but love this ladies website for ideas.....Google "Oh She Glows"

http://ohsheglows.com/

I'm not vegan either and I love this site.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options

Noooo! Eating vegan is so cheap! Seriously, you can get a massive bag of lentils that will last a month for the price of a weeks worth of sandwich deli meat!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    There is a cookbook called Vegan on The Cheap. Its supposed to be eating vegan for $4 per day. Now that is cheap. Usually what IS expensive is cheese and meat.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    There is a cookbook called Vegan on The Cheap. Its supposed to be eating vegan for $4 per day. Now that is cheap. Usually what IS expensive is cheese and meat.

Oh I know that. Geez, I still buy meat for my family, i'm vegetarian but not vegan. Don't really know if I have the interest in being vegan or not. Some of the stuff is tastey but some of it isn't (IMO). seems too hard for me to make my families meal and then prepare a completely seperate meal for myself. At least with vegetarian I can just substitute or take out the meat I make for them .