Sodium HELP!

Options
I have a problem going over on my sodium. I know where it is coming from....I eat lunch meat....soy sauce...and I love other spices and seasonings...I love buffalo sauce...

Anyway, do you know what I could buy to still help me season my foods with out a lot of added sodium? I have heard I can buy Low Sodium Soy Sauce I just haven't done it yet.

Thanks for the input!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Low sodium soy sauce is a good start. You might also check out the Mrs. Dash seasonings. They have no salt and lots of different flavors.
  • Dr_FEEL_Good
    Options
    I'd cut out the daily sodium pentathol - I know it feels good, but....
  • Bellastarflower
    Options
    I use lemon pepper on everything. It's 50mg salt for 1/4 tsp. Or a dash of lemon juice.
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to kick that sodium habit - but once you do and then have something salty, you'll be so glad you kicked the habit. I used to add salt to my pizza. Had a piece the other day (didn't add my own salt) and made the comment that it was too salty - I shocked myself!!

Any way, if you don't want to go extreme, although you might want to try it for a few days, you can use things like Mrs. Dash and other powders. Of course, garlic powder is better than garlic salt, etc. Don't even try that salt alternative - it makes you food taste weird!

The three things that I noticed were killer for me with regard to sodium - canned soup, lunch meat, frozen dinners.

Above all else, keep drinking that water to help flush out the sodium. And check out this book if you want a real wake up call about sodium: http://www.nutritiontwins.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=57
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    fresh herbs, fresh made salsa or pico de guillo.

also not that if you do not have high blood pressure sodium might not be as big a deal as some make it. talk to you doctor. Potassium and sodium have a direct relationpship so make sure you eat a lot of potassium. have a look at the article below. I love spenich bananas and rasin for potassium.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/feb/23/health/he-sodium23

Drink plenty of water to flush out teh extra salt.

Good luck!
  • hauntedwebby
    Options
    I hate salt. Most spice blends use a lot of it because it's cheap.

Make your own spice blends without the salt, you'll use less and it will taste WAY better.

Start here: http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blspice32.htm

Leave out the salt all together, or taper it down by using Kosher salt instead of table salt and half of what the recipe calls for.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash is great. I also like Low Sodium Teriyaki and Low Sodium Soy ... that's all I get anymore. I can't tell the difference.

When you're REALLY ready to break the lunch meat habit, you might think about cooking your own chicken or turkey (or whatever) and slicing it up.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'd cut out the daily sodium pentathol - I know it feels good, but....

Made me snort out loud. :) Really glad I'm working at home.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    1. I use Ms. Dash seasonings a lot.

2. Switch to lower sodium soy sauce.

3. Buy the individual seasonings you want to use to flavor something, so you're not using the combo ones that add salt.

4. Cut back on lunch meat. Bake some meat (chicken, turkey) and slice it up to have on sandwiches.
  • mimi2kk
    mimi2kk Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Herb Ox makes a sodium free chicken and beef bouillon that add a lot of flavor without adding salt. You can also buy low-sodium cold cuts and cheeses at the deli counter. They still have quite a bit of sodium but not as much as the regular varieties.
  • braninsb
    braninsb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, thats a lot of salty condiments! I try to season with chipolte pepper, low sodium soy sauce and limiting it (565mg for 1 TBSP).
    For sauces or salad dressing I always dip my fork. You get used it. Oh, and to the pizza salt person I had pizza last night with salt..bad me. Pizza AND salt. Today's a new day!
  • tashacan
    tashacan Posts: 121
    Options
    Thank you all soo much! This really did help me. I may try to do a drastic change in my menu.....I could cut out lunch meat...only buy low sodium items....etc.... Thank you all so much!
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of others mentioned, try Mrs. Dash. There are sooo many different flavors (I like the chili lime) and no salt in any of them. As far as the lunchmeat...there are lower sodium varieties (Hillshire Farm has a reduced sodium turkey breast) or if you get it sliced fresh at the deli, sometimes it is lower sodium (ask first--that's not always the case!)