No wonder I wasn't losing weight!

Options
Have you ever plugged in the foods you USED to eat to see how many calories you were consuming before joining MFP? I just did and man, no wonder I wasn't losing weight! It's scary how when you don't portion-control, the calories add up super quickly. I'm so thankful for this program!

Just had to share :)

Replies

• TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    One day I had a whole bunch of crap. I recorded not even all of what I ate....and man, that weight it says youll be in 5 weeks...thats NOT what I want. Totally inspired me to stay under my calories and eat healthy! :D
  • hefinator
    hefinator Posts: 260
    Options
    when i first joined, I just logged what I ate normally, and didn't make any changes... after 2 weeks, i wanted to cry, it was HORRENDOUS!!! I started changing things right then!!! now, logging makes me happy, especially when i see Green all along the bottom of my nutrition page! :)
  • TommyWR
    TommyWR Posts: 65
    Options
    It is amazing. Thats really all I can say. This si the first time I feel like I can succeed!
  • Hily81
    Hily81 Posts: 24
    Options
    Re: aryabrookenelson
    Yes! I like that feature, too....it really is motivating!
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    yes sir!
  • marneymac
    Options
    that's an awesome idea- i'm going to enter a day of how i used to eat and see what i get......i can only imagine!! it might kill mfp!! if it goes down, i'll be to blame LOL.
  • joannepapas
    joannepapas Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    One day I had a whole bunch of crap. I recorded not even all of what I ate....and man, that weight it says youll be in 5 weeks...thats NOT what I want. Totally inspired me to stay under my calories and eat healthy! :D

I know what you mean! That is so totally motivating! I am going to try to actually customize my eating plan to be more conscious of my carbs and see what happens. Want to worry about carbs more than calories. But still be conscious of my calories at the same time.
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've eaten much better since I joined, but my wife and I went through and put in the food we USED to eat and it was amazing. My normal taco bell order (which happened a couple times a month) was about 1900 calories... and TONS of sugar.

Scott
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I know I used to eat more calories; I'm going to try plugging them in just to see!
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    yeah. i did that and was shocked.
    I was definitely a comfort eater, and would often only eat once a day. I could easily talk myself into getting a box of chicken from popeyes, or to order a pizza. I discovered that the 5 or so pieces of chicken, plus a side item would be around 3,000 calories, and the large pizza i would chow down was about 3,400 if I had a domino's meat lovers pizza.

takes me 2 days to eat that much now. lol

Another thing that I learned is that you need to check while at the restaurant to avoid hidden calories. I was at a colton's steakhouse and "thought" my order was pretty good.. (6 oz steak, side salad, and green beans) i looked it up on MFP and the total was over 1,300 calories.. YIKES!
  • Hily81
    Options
    It is amazing. Thats really all I can say. This si the first time I feel like I can succeed!

I feel the same way! I have succeeded with WW in the past and then gained everything back. For some reason..it's so easy to go over with "points" b/c it's like...only one point, right? It has more effect on me when I see the full calorie amount.

Best of luck to you and you CAN succeed!!!
  • sabulla
    sabulla Posts: 58
    Options
    It's just crazy! And they say the older we get our metabolism slows down and we just can't afford to eat like we did when we were young. I so now am a believer. A Dairy Queen double cheeseburger (1 of my favorite lunchs while working) has 640 calories. I could skip breakfast or supper-and only eat 1 of the 2 and have the DQ burger and that would be my calories 4 the day. No snacking, etc. UG! But it does make you so much more aware! I tell myself all the time now, Is this worth the calories and the extra gained weight before I eat something. Keep a positive frame of mind!! Good Luck!!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have changed my mind on what I was going to eat so many times now based on logging the calories prior to eating and realizing how high the calories were. The other thing I notice is that many times I will stop and think about something I think I want to eat; and, then determine that if I eat that it is going to cost me a lot of calories and I still won't be full.
  • Hily81
    Options
    that's an awesome idea- i'm going to enter a day of how i used to eat and see what i get......i can only imagine!! it might kill mfp!! if it goes down, i'll be to blame LOL.

hahahaha :)
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I used to regularly demolish a 10pc bucket of chicken from KFC single handedly. :blushing: (plus the 4 portions of fries).. I reckon that's nearly 3000 cals, not to mention the sat fats and the sodium. And I wondered how I was nearly 350lbs.
    NEVER again :happy:
  • Hily81
    Options
    yeah. i did that and was shocked.
    I was definitely a comfort eater, and would often only eat once a day. I could easily talk myself into getting a box of chicken from popeyes, or to order a pizza. I discovered that the 5 or so pieces of chicken, plus a side item would be around 3,000 calories, and the large pizza i would chow down was about 3,400 if I had a domino's meat lovers pizza.

takes me 2 days to eat that much now. lol
    Another thing that I learned is that you need to check while at the restaurant to avoid hidden calories. I was at a colton's steakhouse and "thought" my order was pretty good.. (6 oz steak, side salad, and green beans) i looked it up on MFP and the total was over 1,300 calories.. YIKES!

This is one reason I can't bring myself to eat at a restaurant yet! Scary..but so eye-opening!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    when i first joined, I just logged what I ate normally, and didn't make any changes... after 2 weeks, i wanted to cry, it was HORRENDOUS!!! I started changing things right then!!! now, logging makes me happy, especially when i see Green all along the bottom of my nutrition page! :)
    That's what I did too, and it was a real eye opener.
  • littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just plugged a typical day in...2480....
    Ouch. That would put me at a gain of 1 pound every 8 days!
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It totally helps me stay accountible when I log everything. When I get close to my daily limit I modify my portion sizes to stay under or at my limit. Today I ate what I would normally eat when I go to lunch with friends and my lunch was like 1400 calories and now I feel horrible. TGIF is a horrible place to dine if you are calorie counting:noway: BUT tomorrow's a new day:smile:
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have changed my mind on what I was going to eat so many times now based on logging the calories prior to eating and realizing how high the calories were. The other thing I notice is that many times I will stop and think about something I think I want to eat; and, then determine that if I eat that it is going to cost me a lot of calories and I still won't be full.

Me too!