How fast should you eat?

Options
It usually takes me 2 hours to eat lunch. Unfortunately during the day I don't have the luxury of stopping to eat.

So is this good or bad?

Plus I have a weird thing about eating at a table. I can stand and pick at my food, or eat in a car ... but not at table.

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Eating too fast is bad because you can choke if you don't chew your food. Eating too slow can be bad also because you'll be eating all day and not getting any work done.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    can't tell if serious
  • lisahightower2
    Options
    2 hours? Seriously?

I probably eat too fast because I have 2 kids and am conditioned to eat quickly before someone needs something from me. LOL
  • Gemini_at_36
    Options
    Chewing a bite should be about 30 times unless you're eating pudding. A meal should take about 30 minutes ---as taught by a dietician. Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    2 hours... ??? You either have a huge lunch.. or you must taking small bites every few 30 minutes, which I don't see why anyone would do that. Seems completely unnecessary.

I used to have a very bad habit of eating my food super quick, and this would make me hungry after finishing. I've been working on slowing down myself down so I can enjoy the meals, but NOT by 2 hours.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options

I probably eat too fast because I have 2 kids and am conditioned to eat quickly before someone needs something from me. LOL

Same here, 3 boys ready to swoop if I slow down! I really should take my time, but the above plus if I have hot food I cant abide it to go cold and still be eating it.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Well you have problems with your eating habits hence why you are here. Have a seat and eat at the table like a family is number one, 2 hours of eating food is really just snacking. Are you not sitting because you are working or watching a bunch of kids?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    It is very, very good.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Does this only apply to lunch or does it take you 2 hours to eat every meal...that is close to an entire day of eating...?!?!??!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    When I started out working in the restaurant biz I would always eat standing up. I was in a hurry, trying to get back to my station. So, one day my Chef saw me standing there eating and he yelled at me,

"Karin! What are you doing?!"

Terrified.. "I'm eating"

Still yelling, "I can see that! Why are you standing? You are a person not a horse! People sit when they eat! Go and SIT!"

This thread just reminded me of that. I tell my husband this all the time when I see him standing at the counter eating.

YOU ARE NOT A HORSE!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    When I started out working in the restaurant biz I would always eat standing up. I was in a hurry, trying to get back to my station. So, one day my Chef saw me standing there eating and he yelled at me,

Terrified.. "I'm eating"

Still yelling, "I can see that! Why are you standing? You are a person not a horse! People sit when they eat! Go and SIT!"

This thread just reminded me of that. I tell my husband this all the time when I see him standing at the counter eating.

YOU ARE NOT A HORSE!

Then does he pull down his pants and say, "YES I AM!"? :bigsmile:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

Terrified.. "I'm eating"

YOU ARE NOT A HORSE!

Then does he pull down his pants and say, "YES I AM!"? :bigsmile:

Do you know my husband??? :laugh: :laugh:
  • muffindowd
    Options

Terrified.. "I'm eating"

YOU ARE NOT A HORSE!

Awesome. I am going to use this :)
  • hauntedwebby
    Options
    2 hours... ??? You either have a huge lunch.. or you must taking small bites every few 30 minutes, which I don't see why anyone would do that. Seems completely unnecessary.

I used to have a very bad habit of eating my food super quick, and this would make me hungry after finishing. I've been working on slowing down myself down so I can enjoy the meals, but NOT by 2 hours.

That is right .. take a bit ... continue what I'm doing. Remember that I was eating lunch then go back to it. Then go back to what I'm doing.

Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't even bother. I'm not hungry, just go through the motions because I was told too.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It usually takes me 2 hours to eat lunch. Unfortunately during the day I don't have the luxury of stopping to eat.

So is this good or bad?

Effectively, your lunch is one long snack... now if you're eating nutritiously, it's not necessarily all that bad, but it might be seen as a bad habbit insofar as then you say...
    Plus I have a weird thing about eating at a table. I can stand and pick at my food, or eat in a car ... but not at table.

I absolutely hate having to stand and eat. It just doesn't feel comfortable. Don't like picnics either cos I can't sit comfortably on the ground (because I'm too fat :laugh: :sad: :ohwell: )

I like to be able to sit down to my food, no matter what the meal. dinner is always at the dining table, but then my bad habbit is eating lunch at my desk (becasue I'm working or surfing). :embarassed:

I can't eat in the car either... weirds me out... plus getting crums down your shirt :grumble:
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    this doesn't constitute for lunch...you should sit down and eat until you're not hungry and then go do what you were doing before.
  • hauntedwebby
    Options

Terrified.. "I'm eating"

YOU ARE NOT A HORSE!

That is funny. I wish I could eat at a table, but some deep rooted issues there.

So since everyone has the consensus that my "Lunch" is really just a long snack, maybe I should just skip it. Like I said I'm not hungry so why force myself.

To answer the question of what I'm doing. Work and school. I prefer to work my 10 hours non-stop then I have more time for myself. I've just recently started to take little breaks in the day and that's when I remember to eat food. Now I still consume calories all day long, that is my down fall. I'm a Dr. Pepper addict, but I've reduced that down quite a bit. Almost an 1/8 of what I use to drink.