Continually gaining weight instead of losing

Options
kanisha77
kanisha77 Posts: 2 Member
Hello!
Really frustrating watching what I eat and then continuing to gain weight. How do you stay motivated when that’s all that you see????
It seems like I could really be enjoying myself with what I eat if this is all I’m going to see. Just really down.
I lost the 20 pounds I need to be healthy on weight watchers about 5 years ago and maintained it for 3. But as I’ve moved to a new city and endured many a life transition including weight watchers taking on its new plan which completely sucks - I’m back up in weight and looking to utilize good old calorie counting.
So again, how on earth to stay motivated when everything I do to lose weight seems to just move me in the direction I don’t want to go.

Replies

• bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest taking a good look at what your doing to lose the weight that makes you so unhappy and frankly isn't working?

Care to share more info?

What's your stats? Weight? Daily calorie goal?

Are you weighing your food and logging honestly?

It sounds like you've restricted yourself so much your feeling punished! As you've found out that just isn't sustainable in the long run.

Motivation is fleeting at best. Building day to day habits and routines and BELIEVING in the process will help get you thru the tuff days. Add some hard work and determination and you'll be amazed at what you can do!
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Like the previous poster said, more info would be helpful. It could be that your calorie goal is too aggressive.

I, too, am a former WW member. I’ve done it more times than I can count. I didn’t like the new program either, so I came here. Mfp seems more similar to the older WW plans where you truly could eat whatever you like as long as it fits your daily/weekly goals.

Going back to the calorie goal idea, when I first came here I thought I had to eat the most aggressive calorie goal possible. I had no concept of how to eat healthily and lose weight. So if your goal is currently more aggressive, consider giving yourself more calories so you’re not losing your mind. You can do this!
  • julieedasilvaa77
    julieedasilvaa77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’ve been having the SAME struggle. I know how frustrating it is! I gained a lot in my second semester of senior year. I guess try something new for your exercises, that’s what I’m doing :)
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Lowering my carbs helped me tremendously. I am by no means considers low carbs (my carbs vary but are between 80-100). I feel better and it broke through my weight loss wall. I know this isn’t the answer for everyone but it is a possibility.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    In my case, it took an obesity-related complication to get me to get serious about losing weight. I got scared enough to take action. But I'd tried losing weight before—mostly on older WW programs and it hadn't taken. This outing, I:

-Accepted that I was going to want higher-calorie foods in social settings and budgeted for them, pre-logging when I knew what was likely to be there.

-Limited homemade desserts to 200 calories or fewer per serving.

-Decided not to indulge in potential calorie bombs when I couldn't weigh/measure/eyeball with any degree of accuracy (mayonnaise-based salads from takeout can be all over the map. If the company isn't in the database and doesn't list their calories, I pass it up. OTOH, dips like hummus and baba ghanouj may vary by about 20-30 calories per serving depending on the brand. I'll guesstimate those. Ditto cheese or veggie pizza).

-Over time opted for more snacks that would help me attain a nutritional goal (protein, iron, fiber) and cut back on snacks that were basically salt/sugar and low-fiber carbs. More roasted chickpeas, fewer bags of pop chips. Doesn't mean I don't have pop chips now and again, but I don't choose them as often as I used to.

-Increased activity.

-Journaled religiously

-Asked questions about diet and exercise here when I didn't know the answer/thought the answer I believed I had could be woo (i.e. what the poster above me called 'nonsense'; 'woo' is the general slang for that stuff here.)

Weight loss takes time. You didn't gain weight overnight and you're not going to lose it overnight. Some weeks, you'll be sure you went off the rails and gained, but the scale will show a loss. Some weeks you'll do everything right, but the scale will show a gain. And some weeks, you'll get what you expected. It's not linear. But it's doable.
  • jlsmith4439
    jlsmith4439 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I been there and I feel your pain . I had issues because I tasted food to check if it’s ready , had a bit of my daughter left overs . Forgot to log stuff and so on . Go back to basics hun . Log and go with easy food see where you are and if it works and you lose some you know that maybe some unhealthy stuff sneaked in
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Life happens when you make other plans. Be glad you didn’t lose 140 and gain it back like I did. When I found myself discouraged like that, I really just wanted to hunker down and feather my nest with all the negative crap. I hate that I’m the only one in my immediate family who’s ever been in the “obese zone”. Everybody else has usually had maybe 10-20 pounds to lose. Not trying to diminish your effort, because 20 pounds isn’t easy to lose either.

Just trying to say that, as frustrated as you are, are you sure you’re ready to get back on track? I really wallowed down there for a while in my whole being mad about what I couldn’t eat and in however big a portion size and how it seemed like everybody else could eat whatever they wanted.

When you’ve had “enough” of not losing, and tired of being complacent enough to half way do the work, you’ll get on it and hit it out of the park!