Strength Training VS Cardio

Options
Yes yes I know I know, I should do both. But I really really REALLY hate cardio. Is it wrong to do just strength training? Am I getting good results doing only strength training? Let me know.

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I don't like traditional cardio, but I do HIIT on the treadmill (walking/sprinting)for 20 minutes twice a week, and then whatever cardio type activities that are prescribed in my Crossfit class, like sprinting, jump rope, etc..

I can't remember the last time I bothered with staying on the elliptical trainer for 30 minutes...long long ago, and I've never been in better shape! So I don't think a bunch of cardio is necessary. Make it fun.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't know. ARE you getting good results? Only you know the answer to that.

I know people who lost massive amounts of weight and look wonderful without any exercise at all, so it can be done.

However, cardio is important for overall health, even if it's just a walk a few times a week.

What you do depends entirely on what you want to do.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Lots of body builder types do only little or no cardio. This will help you preserve/build lean muscle (since cardio inevitably burns *some* muscle). I am sure you can get a smoking body doing only strength training, but cardio has benefits for your heart.
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Cardio in a gym suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Get a bicycle and get it in that way.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options

or if you are uncoordinated like me, hit some running trails!
  • jfarmer1226
    jfarmer1226 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. If you have a lot of weight to lose....doing high intensity cardio 3 to 5 times a week will help you lose the weight faster. But, if you are trying to tone & sculpt....then doing strength training alone is okay. Just be careful...you could bulk up if you are doing too heavy of strength training. I would try some different cardio options....I can't stand the machines at the gym (treadmill, etc)....so, I run outside, hiking, biking, and I do kickboxing classes. Doing a class can really help because it's more motivating. Hope this helps.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio as well, and love weight training. I go for a walk or do a light jog. nothing to serious but enough to help.
  • rml_16
    Options

I am SO with you! I will exercise outside instead of inside (especially a gym!) every chance I get. And if I'm stuck inside, my go-to is my own elliptical in front of my television or I'd want to kill myself after 10 minutes.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Those machines are so tedious. I use 'em, but I don't love 'em. However, I like hiking, biking, swimming, or just plain get out and walking!

I think you need to add in the cardio for overall health. A lot of those body builders have intense strength, muscle mass, etc. But can they run a lap around the track without getting winded? Weight loss is the goal, but really you want to increase your overall health, which includes improving cardiovascular fitness. But you don't have to do it on a machine.

Have you tried classes?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Strength training and proper diet will work. My SO lost his 20lbs way before me and all he did was 3 days a week on the bowflex and ate about 1400 calories.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am the same as you. I LOVE strength training but cardio ? Not at all. I am beginning to do a couch to 5k because the heart is a muscle worth training. Just like working out, I'm trying to forge a reliable relationship with it. Like it or not!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I do cardio for one reason and one reason only.

Recovery.
  • fitzerin
    fitzerin Posts: 31
    Options
    WOW ton of replies thanks!

I noticed it is easier for me to not workout if it is supposed to be my cardio day. Strength I can do...I actually really like it! And to answer questions, no I don't have a lot of weight to lose. I just want to tone and sculpt. I am not totally sedentary...I do take walks and hikes.

It is good to know I am not alone in the cardio hate! :-)
  • rml_16
    Options
    WOW ton of replies thanks!

I noticed it is easier for me to not workout if it is supposed to be my cardio day. Strength I can do...I actually really like it! And to answer questions, no I don't have a lot of weight to lose. I just want to tone and sculpt. I am not totally sedentary...I do take walks and hikes.

It is good to know I am not alone in the cardio hate! :-)

If you enjoy walks and hikes, then you don't hate cardio! You don't have to drone away on a machine for it to count as cardio. Just find something you enjoy (a sport, rollerblading, swimming, ANYTHING that gets you moving and gets your HR up) and you're doing your cardio.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    . Just be careful...you could bulk up if you are doing too heavy of strength training.

False! Women don't bulk like men do! And it's especially difficult to add muscle mass if you are eating at a calorie deficit.

When I do strength training, my heart rate goes up to the same level as if I were jogging! If you workout in circuits or supersets, you keep your heart rate up and get cardio at the same time! :glasses:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I am SO with you! I will exercise outside instead of inside (especially a gym!) every chance I get. And if I'm stuck inside, my go-to is my own elliptical in front of my television or I'd want to kill myself after 10 minutes.
    Me too, or three, or whatever.
  • obrien821
    obrien821 Posts: 215
    Options
    It depends on your goal, but you would get better results with cardio. If your strength training then your just building muscle, but if you actually want to tone and lose weight, then the cardio works better for that. I'm the exact opposite! I love doing the cardio and could do without the strength training, but I push forward alternating with both.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    you can do strength training AND cardio in the same session (from what ive been told). doing circuits like the spatacus workout is doing both of them, maybe not working AS hard as if you were just doing cardio, but it makes it a bit different. i love the lady spartacus workout, goes for about 45 minutes, burns about 500 calories i think (dont quote me, im not sure)
  • rml_16
    Options
    you can do strength training AND cardio in the same session (from what ive been told). doing circuits like the spatacus workout is doing both of them, maybe not working AS hard as if you were just doing cardio, but it makes it a bit different. i love the lady spartacus workout, goes for about 45 minutes, burns about 500 calories i think (dont quote me, im not sure)

Calories burned is very individual based on gender, height, age, weight, fitness level and effort. It may burn 500 calories for you and for some other people, but some will burn more and some will burn less for the exact same workout at the exact same intensity.
  • keldawm
    keldawm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hate doing cardio at the gym. I do it when the weather is bad, but I don't enjoy it.
    Do you have any outside activities you enjoy? I have a bike and my husband and I love to go for rides in the morning. I also play tennis a couple of times a week. I find these are 2 great ways to get in cardio.