Should I bulk or cut?

Options
Okay so here’s the dilemma, in my opinion I’m looking pretty skinny-fat and I’m just not sure if i should try to bulk or cut. I’m in between the recommendations for bulking and cutting. My BMI is 24.5, I’m 5’4 and 138 pounds. My measurements are; waist 29, bust 37, chest 32, hips 36, thighs 25, knees and calves 16, arms 15, & forearms 10. I attached photos for reference.

Replies

• katereesekr9899
    katereesekr9899 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    et3m88axipd3.jpeg

• katereesekr9899
    Options
    cvqu702ylc1q.jpeg
  • katereesekr9899
    Options
    pqasgk2k9o8y.jpeg
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I would recomp. Once you get a more defined look, then I would do a lean bulk.

Btw,you're not skinny fat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i don't think you're skinny fat, you have very similar stats to me. you're just quite normal looking and not particularly lean.

i agree with recomp.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't see skinny fat at all, you are quite lean for your stats. I am the same weight as you but 3" taller.

Let's start with your goals. What do you want to achieve? If you do want to increase your size/mass and run a bulk, I would cut a bit more to lower your bodyfat first. You could also recomp but keep in mind that does take time and it really depends on your ultimate goals. If you are not comfortable bulking, or just want to add a bit and lose a bit, are a fairly patient person, it could be a good option for you.
  • katereesekr9899
    Options

i don't think you're skinny fat, you have very similar stats to me. you're just quite normal looking and not particularly lean.

i agree with recomp.

What is the best way to do that? Sorry I’m kinda new to all of this!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

i agree with recomp.

What is the best way to do that? Sorry I’m kinda new to all of this!

there's a thread somewhere...

essentially, eat at maintenance, lift heavy stuff.
  • katereesekr9899
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't see skinny fat at all, you are quite lean for your stats. I am the same weight as you but 3" taller.

Let's start with your goals. What do you want to achieve? If you do want to increase your size/mass and run a bulk, I would cut a bit more to lower your bodyfat first. You could also recomp but keep in mind that does take time and it really depends on your ultimate goals. If you are not comfortable bulking, or just want to add a bit and lose a bit, are a fairly patient person, it could be a good option for you.
    I would love to have more muscle, but also lose fat around my midsection, so I’m really not sure what direction to go!
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Here is the thread on recomp:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

So if you want more muscle and to lose fat over time, then this is a great option. However, it requires a significant amount of patience and trust in the process.

Alternatively you can do things one step at a time. Cut and lower your bodyfat, then bulk to gain. This option is a bit more advanced and not for everyone, especially the gaining part as it can be very mentally challenging for many people.

I would start with a very small deficit or maintenance and see how you feel.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and eat at a small deficit (250 cals under maintenance). I didn't see anywhere if you mentioned what lifting program you are using.
  • katereesekr9899
    Options
    Lift heavy and eat at a small deficit (250 cals under maintenance). I didn't see anywhere if you mentioned what lifting program you are using.

I’m not really following a program I’be just been trying to teach myself 😅 gradually increasing my weights each week but if I’m honest I really don’t know what I’m doing and would love suggestions for a program
    101810191020 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree, you don’t look skinny fat. Here is a program from a website whose workouts I follow.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/the-ultimate-program-for-body-comp-improvement
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I’m not really following a program I’be just been trying to teach myself 😅 gradually increasing my weights each week but if I’m honest I really don’t know what I’m doing and would love suggestions for a program

If you want visible improvements, you should really be using a progressive lifting program. Pretty much every good program ever is listed in this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • katereesekr9899
    Options
    I agree, you don’t look skinny fat. Here is a program from a website whose workouts I follow.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/the-ultimate-program-for-body-comp-improvement

Thank you! Do you actually follow the twice a day rule or do you think I would be able to fit these workouts into one session? I’m too busy to do twice a day.
  • katereesekr9899
    Options

If you want visible improvements, you should really be using a progressive lifting program. Pretty much every good program ever is listed in this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    Thank you!!
  • sardelsa
    Options

This is a great resource. Definitely would highly recommend the programs in the thread above.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Go to Reddit.com/r/fitness and check out the wiki there on lifting programmes. It's really comprehensive and lays out beginners through to experts. You'll start to understand the terminology like PPL, SL5x5, 5/3/1 etc. Once you delve into the resources available you'll feel more confident starting a programme on your own.

Good luck!
    101810191020 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Thank you! Do you actually follow the twice a day rule or do you think I would be able to fit these workouts into one session? I’m too busy to do twice a day.

I can’t do the twice a day, I’m a math teacher and barely have time to exercise but I do follow my diet religiously. If I have the time I will get a second workout with my resistance band at home but not all the time.