Best meal delivery

Options
I've been getting Sunbasket- they deliver two meals per week. I get to choose the meals, but it's really difficult finding many low calorie, healthy recipes. Most involve sautéing the chicken or even the veggies in oil. Are others better? I know there is Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Home Fresh, etc. Would like to hear if anyone has used a different company.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That, and if you cook the meal yourself, can't you adjust the recipe to your preference?
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've been very happy with Territory Foods, been using them for 2+ years. They are not everywhere, only in DC metro, Dallas-Ft. Worth, San Francisco bay area, and southern California.

I like to cook, but not every night so I get 3 dinners a week from them (plus 3 lunches).
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I should add that their meals are already cooked, just need to be reheated. So, may not be what you are looking for.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i love my woo stalker.
  • kommodevaran
    edited July 2018
    Options
    i love my woo stalker.
    I feel cheated on.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    i love my woo stalker.
    I feel cheated on.

What are you talking about?
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    i love my woo stalker.
    I feel cheated on.

The frequent and mysterious (mis)use of the woo button. "Woo" is supposed to mean "broscience" or "quackery" but it's often used as a "dislike" button. At least as far as I have been able to figure it out.
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    We've tried a few.. We felt Sunbasket was kind of bland and overpriced for what you got. We like Blue Apron and used them for quite a while. Wife and I liked pretty much everything except the fish recipes (we do both like seafood). The food quality seemed to be a step up from most grocery store stuff, and the meals came with calorie cards which were convenient. In the end we cancelled because there were just too many times where something was missing, or poorly packaged, leaving us to have to substitute or modify the recipe.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    i love my woo stalker.
    I feel cheated on.

The frequent and mysterious (mis)use of the woo button. "Woo" is supposed to mean "broscience" or "quackery" but it's often used as a "dislike" button. At least as far as I have been able to figure it out.

I get woo'd all the time, I take it as a badge of honor. Apparently I have offended one (or more) people so much that they seem to woo every thing I post, even when I'm talking about my own personal experience. Meh.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    i love my woo stalker.

i love my woo stalker.
    I feel cheated on.

Here, gave you both a friendly woo :Do:)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i love my woo stalker.
    I feel cheated on.

Or when people are taking things personally
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I did a free trial of Hello Fresh. Here's my experience.

Pro's - Website is easy to navigate and select your food options. They even tell you if a selection is GF, Vegan, or what not to be sure you are getting what you want to meet any dietary needs you may have.
    -It was easy to plan my meals for the week and have everything I need to make a meal in a package in the refrigerator.
    -Food delivery arrived on time, and was mostly well packaged to avoid spoilage while waiting on your door step.
    -Recipe instructions were easy to follow, and even had pictures to go along with it.
    -You can skip weeks where it's not affordable, or you are unable to cook at home.

Con's- Portions were small for the amount you pay. If you like to cook extra, or have someone in the house with a large appetite, there will not be enough. I have a husband who works an active job, and therefor requires a good amount of calories. I selected the "Family" package which serves 4. We had one small portion of leftovers for the next day.
    - There is still some food prep involved. You still have to cut and wash veggies, etc. I think this is standard for most food delivery services though.
    - There is a lot of package waist. They pack everything in insulated wrap and disposable ice packs. There is no option to send these items back for re-use.
    - The biggest one is that it's expensive (to me) for what you get, and the fact you still have to cook and prep food. It is not much cheaper than just going out to eat. It's about the same actually.
    - And I found that on a lot of things you're not really saving calories either. It looks fresh and healthy, but can be high calorie still depending on what you choose.

To Summarize: Food delivery just isn't for me. Maybe it's becuase I have 3 grocery stores within 5 minutes from my house, but I could not justify the cost vs convenience to sign up for Hello Fresh. So, I ended my free trial. I think it is a good thing for small families (Mom and a couple of small kids) , or single people. It's probably good if you live where going to the grocery store is inconvenient. People who live in a big city with a long commute for example. I could see then how time saved would be worth money spent if I had a long and crowded drive to and from work and/or the store.

Thanks. Sunbasket is about the same on all fronts. The only difference is I am single, and get two meals a week, but it ends up being 4. Even still, the portions are small. If I invite a friend over I usually have to add in more chicken or whatever the dish is, or add a huge salad. The packaging really bothers me, too. I put it all in the recycle bin, but still it's a lot. I appreciate your input!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    i love my woo stalker.
    I feel cheated on.

Welp, I just totally missed the point of woo. I thought it meant like woo as in woohoo. whoosh
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I’ve used Paleo on the Go. A bit expensive, but they taste great and are easy heat-and-eat meals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I've been getting Sunbasket- they deliver two meals per week. I get to choose the meals, but it's really difficult finding many low calorie, healthy recipes. Most involve sautéing the chicken or even the veggies in oil. Are others better? I know there is Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Home Fresh, etc. Would like to hear if anyone has used a different company.

With a good non stick pan you only have to use a tiny bit of oil.

(I love oil, but reduce it because of the calories.)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    i love my woo stalker.
    I feel cheated on.

Welp, I just totally missed the point of woo. I thought it meant like woo as in woohoo. whoosh

There is no single accepted meaning of the "woo" button because MFP never really defined it (or if it did, the dfn is now buried somewhere) but the confused look of the woo icon should be a clue.

MFP initiated it as a "beta" and IMO the beta has failed because people use it for very different reasons and some people apparently abuse its use. So, I think should be removed. Short of that, I simply suggest you ignore it.

The fewer who use or pay attn to it, the better IMO.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Honestly really love Veestro.
    Pros: Ready made, great customer service, great shipping anywhere in continental US, large variety, highly nutritious
    Cons: It is plant based so might not be your thing, however, we don't need to eat meat at every meal and could be a good way to up your daily fiber.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Without knowing where you live, there’s probably not a lot of point... but I was really happy with Dinner Twist, which is a local small business in Western Australia. The fruit, veg and meat is from local suppliers and very good quality, and I enjoyed most of the recipes.
    It’s definitely more expensive than planning and shopping myself, but worked well for me when my husband was away for work for a month at a time and I was lacking enthusiasm around meal planning.