Weighing scales

Options
I’ve been dieting for about a month now, maybe just over, and haven’t lost any weight. I’ve been weighing myself everyday and it hasn’t moved! However, this morning, I weighed myself (same time as everyday) and I’ve lost 12 pounds! How is this possible? I’m guessing it’s too good to be true 😃

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you have gone to the restroom a large number of times in the last 24 hours it is possible. It is also possible if you have not been consistent in your weighing routine or something has kept your scale from being accurate like being on an uneven surface, needing new batteries, or you are being touched by something that adds weight (sometimes a scale in the closet will be too close to hanging clothes). It could even be a combination of factors.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this happening sometimes with digital scales, they have some sort of "memory". I'd try changing your batteries, if it keeps happening, maybe get a different scale.

Are you saying that the number was exactly the same for a solid month or was it going up and down in small increments?
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Make sure the feet under it are clean (wipe feet and floor). I find a dust bunny can really affect mine. Zero it and then try again. Either it was stuck before or is stuck now. If you are still unsure weigh something you know the weight of (if you have free weights this works well). If it is off I would try changing the battery and if that doesn't work get a new scale.
  • chelssyy98
    chelssyy98 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Make sure the feet under it are clean (wipe feet and floor). I find a dust bunny can really affect mine. Zero it and then try again. Either it was stuck before or is stuck now. If you are still unsure weigh something you know the weight of (if you have free weights this works well). If it is off I would try changing the battery and if that doesn't work get a new scale.
    I’ve done all that and it’s still saying the same

• chelssyy98
    chelssyy98 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this happening sometimes with digital scales, they have some sort of "memory". I'd try changing your batteries, if it keeps happening, maybe get a different scale.

Are you saying that the number was exactly the same for a solid month or was it going up and down in small increments?
    It was going up and down by about 0.1 pounds but that was it. Then this morning this has happened. I’ve changed the battery but I’m confused as to whether I’ve lost all that or not! The scales are getting my hopes up 😃

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    The only way to know is if you continue to stay that lower weight.

Also possible, you appear to be a woman of child bearing age. Perhaps you're one of the ones who just get a whoosh at certain points in your cycle and then maintain through out the rest of the month. I know that I can see a big change over night about twice a month. A big jump at ovulation and then the last week of my cycle a big dip.
  • ozgurvh
    ozgurvh Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    chelssyy98 wrote: »
    I’ve been dieting for about a month now, maybe just over, and haven’t lost any weight. I’ve been weighing myself everyday and it hasn’t moved! However, this morning, I weighed myself (same time as everyday) and I’ve lost 12 pounds! How is this possible? I’m guessing it’s too good to be true 😃

its not possible to lose that much in a day:) something must be wrong :)
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Do your clothes fit differently than they did a month ago? 12 pounds can equal a dress size for some people. That could help indicate if you have really been losing this whole time and your scale has been wonky.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

It was going up and down by about 0.1 pounds but that was it. Then this morning this has happened. I’ve changed the battery but I’m confused as to whether I’ve lost all that or not! The scales are getting my hopes up 😃

Did the 12 lb loss happen after you changed the battery?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

You definitely did not lose 12 lbs of fat overnight - that is a guarantee. Seems like more of a scale/battery issue if your weight truly was the same for a month then overnight dropped 12 lbs.