Protein intake recommendation?

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
Hi there,
I'm trying to find out how much protein I should actually be eating. I'm 5'4 currently 128lbs , goal weight range is 115-120lbs. I'm currently eating anywhere from 40-80 g of protein per day. I've noticed since I've increased my protein I've felt much better!! I used to only eat 20 g of protein a day. I run with my dog around 15 miles a week and walk several miles as well.
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    100g would be more than adequate
  • jmr5681
    jmr5681 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been eating more protein also since I started MFP and I have more energy too. I eat about 100-115 g of protein a day. It especially helps me if I eat more for breakfast. I try to eat for breakfast about 20 g.
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    I'm curious too how much is too much , doesn't it put strain on your kidneys ? Or is that a myth?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I'm curious too how much is too much , doesn't it put strain on your kidneys ? Or is that a myth?

I'm close to your size (5'5", low 130s should be closer to 120 ;) ), old (62), active, vegetarian. In maintenance, I shoot for a minimum of 100g and often materially exceed it. It was more like 80 while losing, just because of calorie availability.

I've seen no evidence that excess protein, within reason, is dangerous for an otherwise healthy person. By "within reason", I mean a level that allows for conventionally well-balanced nutrition on base calories. There are some medical conditions that contraindicate high protein, and possibly a familial disposition to those might make one more cautious - I don't really know details, as it hasn't been relevant for me to research.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was about to start a thread on this but I have the same question so will just put it here. I have seen online that for women they should consume anywhere between 46 and 100 grams, which is a big variation so I am confused.

I am 5'4, 165 lbs. I do 6 exercise classes per week (mix of bodystep, bodycombat and strong Zumba). I eat protein (beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs) at each meal, but my carbs generally do not have extra protein as I am gluten-free. I am also dairy free so I estimate that I am probably eating around 45-50 grams of protein per day. My question is this enough? I feel like 45 grams is too low for my activity level. Am I wrong?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    DebTavares wrote: »
    I was about to start a thread on this but I have the same question so will just put it here. I have seen online that for women they should consume anywhere between 46 and 100 grams, which is a big variation so I am confused.

I am 5'4, 165 lbs. I do 6 exercise classes per week (mix of bodystep, bodycombat and strong Zumba). I eat protein (beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs) at each meal, but my carbs generally do not have extra protein as I am gluten-free. I am also dairy free so I estimate that I am probably eating around 45-50 grams of protein per day. My question is this enough? I feel like 45 grams is too low for my activity level. Am I wrong?

If somebody gave you an exact number you needed to hit (e.g., 76.25 grams), what good would it do you since you're only guessing how many grams you're eating? And gluten isn't the only source of protein in foods that have carbs in them, which apparently is what you mean by "my carbs."
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Protein requirements will vary greatly, it depends on your goals and how you feel on each amount. People telling you a number won't change much because there are other considerations, although yes I'd have definitely said 20g was too low.

The general guidelines in the UK I think are 45g for the average woman, and 56g for an average man. If you exercise frequently, especially weight training or you want to build muscle then you'll likely need more. If you're just generally active as per recommended amounts then these should usually be sufficient amounts, but definitely play around with it and vary accordingly if changing the amounts makes a difference to you.

My goal is 77g and I do powerlifting. This is a minimum target for me, I usually get between this and 100g from what I choose to eat. My performance is good on this amount, I feel good and enjoy what I'm eating.
  • jls1leather
    jls1leather Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    General rule is MINIMUM .5 gram protein per pound of body weight. So 120 lbs is 60g protein.

Most suggest more like .8-1.0 g per pound, and bodybuilders looking to put on muscle often use 1.5g/ pound.
  • angeleve6
    angeleve6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and my dietitian recommended 150g of protein a day. Im 150 pounds now (lost over 50 pounds with her help). I also took a nutrition class and basically what I learned is if you exercise you need the protein for muscle growth so that you gain more muscle and lose fat.

Protein pancakes (for breakfast)
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup oats
    3/4 cups egg whites
    cinamon to taste
    2 packets splenda, or stevia etc

blend this in blender and then pour on griddle.. This makes 1 serving. meaning you eat all the pancakes that it makes.

• jls1leather
    edited July 2018
    Options
    angeleve6 wrote: »
    ...150g of protein a day. Im 150 pounds now (lost over 50 pounds with her help)....

DON'T think I'm gonna try those pancakes, but congrats on the weight loss!
    I like ketchup AND I like ice cream, but not in the same bowl. Same for oatmeal and cottage cheese. 😇
  • angeleve6
    Options
    angeleve6 wrote: »
    ...150g of protein a day. Im 150 pounds now (lost over 50 pounds with her help)....

DON'T think I'm gonna try those pancakes, but congrats on the weight loss!
    I like ketchup AND I like ice cream, but not in the same bowl. Same for oatmeal and cottage cheese. 😇

LOL i hear that a lot from people but once they try it, they like it. if it wasnt blended I wouldnt eat it either. and the cinnamon and sweetener give it the flavor
  • DebTavares
    Options

If somebody gave you an exact number you needed to hit (e.g., 76.25 grams), what good would it do you since you're only guessing how many grams you're eating? And gluten isn't the only source of protein in foods that have carbs in them, which apparently is what you mean by "my carbs."

Is it just me or are you being intentionally rude in your post?

• jls1leather
    Options

It's not the protein, it's the dehydration which can stress kidneys. Protein and water are retained together in skeletal muscle tissues, and increased protein requires increased water.
    So in some cases, people can bump up protein but not increase water, and end up dehydrated. In fact, most people are dehydrated already, so water is never bad idea. If you feel hungru shortly after eating, or if you frequently get muscle cramps, or if you don't sweat much even when exercising, these can all be symptoms of dehydration.
  • angeleve6
    Options
    If you feel hungru shortly after eating, or if you frequently get muscle cramps, or if you don't sweat much even when exercising, these can all be symptoms of dehydration.

so if i dont sweat a lot during exercise i can be dehydrated? but drinking more water makes me go to the bathroom a lot more and i have 1.5 hr commute from home to work(and back) so needing to pee often is not good.
    Any ideas on that or will my body just get used to the extra water?
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    Wow thank you for the insight everyone!!! Some really great info here!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Like you I've definitely noticed that I've felt so much better on higher protein. I used to get around 30-40g a day. I also find eating higher protein & fibre makes me a lot less hungry. Also yes to the higher water. I just shoot for what MFP gives me, because it's hard enough still. I might go higher when I learn a little more about making nutritionally sound meals.

I'll just add a goal that my doctor gave me about migraine prevention, which was "15g of protein within the first hour of waking" and to drink lots of water first thing. I don't hit that within the hour, but in my first meal I try to now get 15-20g, and it makes a big difference in how I feel.
  • DebTavares
    Options

Is it just me or are you being intentionally rude in your post?

If those are my only choices, then it's just you. I'm pointing out that there's no benefit to having a number to shoot at if you're only estimating your intake (and frankly, from the way you phrased it in your earlier post, "estimate" seems generous -- you just seem to be pulling a number out of the air based on the belief that protein only comes from animals and gluten). There's a popular expression: You can't manage what you don't measure.

Where do I say I only believe protein comes from animals and gluten? I realize there are other sources of protein, but when going gluten free my protein intake dropped because I replaced some carbs that naturally had more protein (i.e. wheat bread) with carbs that don't (many gluten free substitutes don't have much protein).

Also even if I am estimating my protein intake, why would knowing what would be a good intake not be of benefit to me? Do I not deserve an answer to my question just because I estimated my protein intake? It sounds like you are irked by me estimating my protein intake tbh and your post sounded really snarky.
  • tfield98
    tfield98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I’m not sufficiently knowledgable to know if this is woo-woo or not.

This site makes an argument for more protein.

https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-i-need/

Before you flag this as woo-woo how about posting here and explaining how you reached that conclusion. Seriously.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    tfield98 wrote: »
    I’m not sufficiently knowledgable to know if this is woo-woo or not.

This site makes an argument for more protein.

https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-i-need/

Before you flag this as woo-woo how about posting here and explaining how you reached that conclusion. Seriously.

You can relax, this site is one of the better ones. Their recommendations are backed by references.