Not losing weight

Options
Hello all, I am looking for some advice. I am 5'9" male weighing 257 lbs. I started with 270 and its been 17 days but the problem or the question I have is on Saturday I weighed 257 and 5 days later I weighed the same, I have been walking one hour a day and eating 1000 calories a day, what would be the reason to not losing weight? Please help.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's only been five days. Weight loss isn't linear. And you shouldn't be eating 1000 calories.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It’s not been long enough to be considered a plateau. If you don’t lose anything in 6 weeks, then you may need to adjust. Weight loss is not always linear. There will be small losses, big losses, stalls and no losses. Watching the trend go down over time is a good indicator of success. Weight fluctuates from day to day as well. A weigh in once weekly or bi monthly should give you a better idea of if you are on track.

That being said though, you aren’t following MFP guidelines. You should have more of a calorie allotment than that and you can still lose weight eating more.

If in the future you aren’t losing weight weight, you aren’t in a calorie deficit. Do you weigh your food on a food scale or just eyeball it/use measuring cups and spoons? Weighing your food is far more accurate.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    see above
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself on Monday, which is my usual day. Hadn't lost a pound from last week. Weighed myself the next day, scales said I'd lost 2 pounds! Weigh weekly, not daily, cut down on salt and eat the calories MFP suggests, otherwise you will get too hungry and binge.
    If you are excersizing, you will have more water in your muscles, which will stop the scales moving.
    Don't rely too much on weight, just measure yourself, or take photos to compare, see how your clothes are fitting, the scales are just part of the story. 🙂
  • saundts
    saundts Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you thechiopodist.
  • Tigertomc1965
    Tigertomc1965 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First up, your calorie intake is way too low for a male that is 5'9" tall. Everything I have read states 1200 calories as a minimum or your body goes into storage mode. I am 5'11" and started at 249.8. Over a year I was down to 192.5lbs. Some weeks I lost weight but other weeks I lost inches from my waistline and puffiness around my face. From a 43 waist to a 36 waist. I am back to 198 and been in a plateau for over a year. I eat 1600 calories a day and am trying to get to around 180 which was set by my doctor. If you fill out your profile, MyFitnessPal will give you goals to shoot for. Keep in mind when you started you were carrying 270lbs around the block. Now you are exercising with 257lbs. Gradually your weight loss will slow as you are not carrying all that extra weight when you walk. It is not healthy to lose weight too quickly. At first I kept track of my calorie count only now I need to keep track of the types of food which is my down fall. 1600 calories of chicken wings everyday would not help me lose weight. Also 1600 calories of carrots would also kill me. Talking to your doctor is a good first step and they may even know a nutritionist that can tell you what foods you should eat. No soda, diet or otherwise, water only was what I went for. I was up to 40 ounces of Dr Pepper or Vanilla Coke a day (part of 3300+ calories a day). Keep on walking and it will start coming off again.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    First up, your calorie intake is way too low for a male that is 5'9" tall. Everything I have read states 1200 calories as a minimum or your body goes into storage mode.

1500 is the minimum for men. And it won't cause him to go into "storage mode", as that doesn't exist. Also there's nothing wrong with having soda if you work it into your calories or even diet to save calories.