MOB shape up

Options
I know that fitness and dietary goals should not hinge on special events, but what can I say? The big day is on the calendar. This is just the kick in the pants I need to really zero in and maintain good habits. My diet is actually pretty good. Need to work on the evening snacking and the tipple, but otherwise, I eat pretty darned well.

So, the real emphasis is going to be tweaking that diet and exercising with more determination and enthusiasm. I usually achieve the absolute minimum requirements in each week -- 150 minutes of walking and a couple of short weight training sessions already.

My mother, father (RIP), sister and brother are all diabetics, so avoiding that has been a high priority. I already moderate carbs, eat lots of fresh fruit and veg, etc.
Admittedly, I seem to be doing the bare minimum since I quite smoking almost 20 years ago. I take meds for moderately high blood pressure, so no HIT or high impact workouts for me. Maybe later.

In the "know thyself" category, over the years, I have responded very well to exercise. Maybe it's body type (apple) or just coincidence, but even though most research indicates that exercise is only 20 percent of the battle, for me, it's a very important 20 percent. I am going to run down that road (well, walk anyway) again. So, if you are tempted to shower me with comments about cutting carbs, calories and dieting, save your fingers time on the keyboard. Exercise and fitness tips, however, are most welcome.

I am dedicated to dropping 35 pounds in about 35 weeks. I broke it down into a goal of losing 5 pounds each month. July 2018 to February 2019. The wedding is in March, but a little wiggle room never hurts.
I am only 1.4 pounds away from meeting my goal for July! Start weight was 218.6
My work schedule fluctuates quite a lot and during two of those months (September and December), my exercise time will be very curtailed, so I will have to work a bit harder in between them. July, August, October, November, January and February are NO EXCUSES months for me!!!

I am 58 years old, 6 feet tall and weigh 215 as of today. Ultimate goal weight is 165 pounds, but for the wedding, goal weight is 183. Looking forward to trying on size 14 Mother of the Bride dresses!

I wear a step tracker and my goal is at least 7K steps a day. Will work that one up to 10K.
I will do a full body work out at a gym 2 times a week.
I will do strength training at home 2 times a week.
I will get at least 150 minutes of cardio per week -- mostly outdoor walking, but when needed, the treadmill will do.

Rewards for meeting each monthly 5 pound weight loss goal are:
A nice charm for my bracelet (or some sort of nice bling) and some sort of clothing item or accessory -- hat, scarf, shoes, whatever.

When I lose 20 pounds, I will treat myself to a real FitBit instead of the cheap tracker I have now.
When I lose 25 pounds, I will get a new necklace or another bracelet to hold all the beautiful charms I will have by the end of the year!

I'd like to join a My Fitness Pal group of some sort that will help me meet these goals. Suggestions?
And I'd like a few other Mother of the Bride ladies to join me on the way!

Thanks!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

I really hope you reconsider whether you need to cut calories or not though.
  • strongwendysue14
    strongwendysue14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh, I will, just not super drastically.