Sirloin steak... What to do with it?

Options
mlpaint
mlpaint Posts: 85 Member
I have a giant sirloin thawing out right now and I really don't know what to do with it. I am craving red meat today lol

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Put some Kosher Salt and Pepper on it and grill it up!
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    yea grill it up with salt and pepper on it :)
  • trapitt
    trapitt Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    maybe fajitas? you would get losof veiigies in.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yummm I am having flatiron steak for dinner tonight. I'm so excited too! I just grill it on top of my stove... but you could broil it, or grill it outside, too. You could make fajitas - grill some pepper strips and onions and throw it all in a tortilla! Or you could just eat it all by itself with some veggies, or a sweet or regular potato.
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Grill it! Fresh meat is good for you in the right proportions!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Grill it along with some onion and green pepper then slice thin and wrap in a low carb wrap with some reduced fat cheese for a Philly Cheese wrap. Or if you are going low carb, skip the wrap and throw all on a bed of greens for Phylly cheese salad.
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yum, grilled sirloin - my favorite. I prefer the flavor and chew of sirloin to the 'premium' cuts.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    The only issue in your post is "giant" -- you don't want to eat a GIANT anything, unless it's an apple or a peach!! Good luck & enjoy your carniverous self! :drinker:
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    There's an awesome recipe for steak burritos and you can use any kind of steak.

Add a description
    Steak Burrito

4 servings
    Active Time: 30 minutes
    Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
    1/2 cup prepared fresh salsa
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup instant brown rice
    1 15-ounce can black beans, preferably low-sodium, rinsed
    12 ounces strip steak, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    4 8-inch tortillas, preferably whole-wheat (I love the La Tortilla 100 calorie with 8 grams fiber or Carb balance medium tortillas)
    1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup prepared guacamole
    2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation
    Combine salsa and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in rice, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in beans, return to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes more.
    Meanwhile, sprinkle steak with pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
    To assemble, divide the steak among the tortillas and top with equal amounts of cheese, guacamole, cilantro and the rice mixture. Roll each tortilla up into a burrito.
    Nutrition
    Per serving: 471 calories; 16 g fat ( 6 g sat , 5 g mono ); 63 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber; 600 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.

Steak Burrito

4 servings
    Active Time: 30 minutes
    Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
    1/2 cup prepared fresh salsa
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup instant brown rice
    1 15-ounce can black beans, preferably low-sodium, rinsed
    12 ounces strip steak, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    4 8-inch tortillas, preferably whole-wheat
    1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup prepared guacamole
    2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation
    Combine salsa and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in rice, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in beans, return to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes more.
    Meanwhile, sprinkle steak with pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
    To assemble, divide the steak among the tortillas and top with equal amounts of cheese, guacamole, cilantro and the rice mixture. Roll each tortilla up into a burrito.
    Nutrition
    Per serving: 471 calories; 16 g fat ( 6 g sat , 5 g mono ); 63 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber; 600 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
  • meowthania
    Options
    I heat up a pan (you want to get it really hot) and I preheat my oven to about 350F - I cover the steak(s) with salt and pepper, and a good drizzle of olive oil...rub that in...then I throw the steaks into the super hot pan (this will smoke and sizzle) leave it on each side for about 3-5 minutes - then toss it in the oven to desired done-ness.

my hubby usually prefers BBQ steak - but this makes them so soft and juicy it's unbelievable!
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've got a better idea...................send it to me for my dinner :bigsmile:

martyxxx
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    In a glass baking dish, mix up:

1 TBS Dijon Mustard
    1 TBS BAlsamic Vinegar
    1 TBS Crushed Garlic
    1 TBS OLive Oil
    1 TBS Soya Sauce
    1 TBS Worstershire sauce

Poke the steak all over with a fork and coat both sides in mix then marinade in fridge 4 hours, or on countertop 30 mins.

Place on a hot grill (500 Degrees) 3 1/2 mins/ side, flipping 4 times (for 1" Medium Steak.

After removing from grill, tent with foil 5 mins.....then sit back and enjoy a perfect steak with a glass of Red on the side. :-)
  • lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Grill it - I would add garlic salt and pepper and you could add worcestershire sauce if you like.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

1 TBS Dijon Mustard
    1 TBS BAlsamic Vinegar
    1 TBS Crushed Garlic
    1 TBS OLive Oil
    1 TBS Soya Sauce
    1 TBS Worstershire sauce

Poke the steak all over with a fork and coat both sides in mix then marinade in fridge 4 hours, or on countertop 30 mins.

Place on a hot grill (500 Degrees) 3 1/2 mins/ side, flipping 4 times (for 1" Medium Steak.

After removing from grill, tent with foil 5 mins.....then sit back and enjoy a perfect steak with a glass of Red on the side. :-)

If you poke the steak with a fork all the juices will run out while cooking it :noway:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

1 TBS Dijon Mustard
    1 TBS BAlsamic Vinegar
    1 TBS Crushed Garlic
    1 TBS OLive Oil
    1 TBS Soya Sauce
    1 TBS Worstershire sauce

If you poke the steak with a fork all the juices will run out while cooking it :noway:

That's true if you poke it while it's cooking, but not if you poke it before cooking for a marinade.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Try this, it's part of an Ellie Krieger recipe that I just LOVE the meat.

1 T chili powder
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1/4 t ground cinnamon
    1/4 t salt
    a pinch of cayenne pepper

Mix together and rub the mixture on both sides of the steak. Grill or broil steaks for 5-6 minutes (1 inch thick) for med rare, turning once. Remove from heat and let sit for 10-15 minutes, then carve into thin slices.

The recipe can be found on the food network site for Chili Rubbed Steak Taco's. I'd post the link, but it's not working on my pc right now!
  • mlpaint
    mlpaint Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    yum! I think I am going to stick to old fashion grilling with a spice rub!

haha The steak is GIANT but I have no intentions of eating it on my own :) I have a family to feed too! I'll probably cut it in half for tonight and cook up the other half for my hubby's lunches.
  • destiny150
    Options
    I usually season it up with salt, black and red pepper and garlic powder. Then I cut up some onions and bell pepper in an aluminum pan covered with aluminum foil and just let bake on 375 degrees for about 2- 2 1/2 hours.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Ellie Krieger has a recipe for a mushroom and barley soup that has sirloin in it. Granted it is August and you might not want soup or have the time to make it but it is delicious!

Beef and Mushroom Barley Soup
    Source: From The Food You Crave by Ellie Kreiger, page 89

4 tsp olive oil
    3/4 pound beef stew meat (preferably from the shank), cut into 1/2-inch pieces - I use sirloin
    1/4 tsp salt, plus more to taste
    Pinch of freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
    1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
    8 ounces button mushrooms, coarsley chopped
    2 medium carrots, diced (about 1/2 cup)
    2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/2 cup) (I OMITTED)
    2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp)
    6 cups low-sodium beef broth
    1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt added diced tomatoes, with their juices
    1/2 cup hulled or pearled barley
    1 Tbsp coarsely chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
    1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

In a large soup pot, heat 2 tsp of the oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the meat with the salt and pepper. Add the meat to the pot and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer the meat to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.

Add the remaining 2 tsp oil to the pot. Add the onions and mushrooms and cook over medium-high heat, stirrign, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add the broth, tomatoes, browned meat, barley, and thyme adn bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the barley is cooked and the meat is tender, about 50 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish each serving with a sprinkling of parsley.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Soul Seasoning as a dry rub. Yum.