beginner runner (jogger)

Options
I've never run more than 3 miles and even that was over 2 years ago. I'm in the worst shape of my life right now (260 pounds) but I'd like to try running again. Should I try to lose some weight before I attempt to start jogging or should I try jogging as a means of losing weight?

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Start with walking and watching what you eat. Most of weight loss is based around nutrition and diet, but fitness is an important aspect of health as well. Work up to it as your body allows you.
  • mitzi2013
    mitzi2013 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I can walk all day with no problem. I waited tables for 20 years. Food is my kryptonite. I’ll definitely try that couch25k
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Start slow and don’t try to run every day. Take your rest days so your body has a chance to adapt. And get good shoes from a running store
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm an obese runner! I started C25K 13 months ago and now I am training for my second half marathon. C25K is a good program - follow the programmed rest days and you should be fine!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    All of he above advice is good. I just came in from a 56 minute run, am thinking back to when I started, and have one more piece of advice before you start a running program: Check with your doctor.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    if you can walk no problem, start with C25k. Listen to your body.......also get yourself properly fitted for shoes at a Running Store.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Running slowly is so important. Every time in the past that I’ve tried running and felt like I was going to die, was because I was running too fast. I feel like sometimes I may as well be walking im going so slow, but I have learned to not care what anybody thinks of me. Anyone who runs knows how hard it is especially in the beginning. On that note, running is hard but soooo worth it. I feel like I’m on top of the world when I’m done with a run, and I’m a super noob. I am currently only running for 15 min. Straight and I can’t wait until I can run several miles at once. 15 minutes is a lot more than I could run a couple months ago.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It's always a good idea to check with your doctor before you start an exercise program. In general, though, if you can comfortably walk for half an hour or so, then you probably can start C25K. I started C25K 100 pounds ago, at a BMI of 42.

Get yourself a good pair of running shoes and, if you are a bra-wearer, a good sports bra before starting. Both of these things might cost a bit, but they are the only "equipment" you need to begin a new sport. Don't just pick up a pair of sneakers; go to a running store and be professionally fitted for shoes. You can injure yourself pretty seriously if you have poorly fitted shoes.