Ideas to avoid unnecessary snacking

Options
Hello everyone, I have a serious problem. Whenever I'm home and bored, I turn to junk food. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I don't need the chips, candy, or cookies that I'm about to grab. I'm looking for ideas to avoid these temptations. I'm only 15lbs away from my goal weight, but it's like two steps forward and one step back. Any words of encouragement and support are appreciated.

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    First, don't have them in the house if you can't stay away from them. Second, eat more of your calories at your meals. I never snack between meals because I eat enough at meals that I don't have to.
  • Fammy04
    Fammy04 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    First, don't have them in the house if you can't stay away from them. Second, eat more of your calories at your meals. I never snack between meals because I eat enough at meals that I don't have to.

There are other people living in the house, so that's how the junk food usually gets in. I'll try adding more to my meals. Thank you.
  • ArasynyaCain
    ArasynyaCain Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One thing I've heard is that oftentimes when we feel the urge to snack it actually means were a little dehydrated. Try drinking a full glass of water when you get the urge to snack and then wait 15 minutes. If youre still feeling hungry then keep a few healthy snacks on hand that you can turn to!:)
  • Fammy04
    Options
    One thing I've heard is that oftentimes when we feel the urge to snack it actually means were a little dehydrated. Try drinking a full glass of water when you get the urge to snack and then wait 15 minutes. If youre still feeling hungry then keep a few healthy snacks on hand that you can turn to!:)

Great idea! I will definitely be doing this starting tomorrow. Thank you.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Plan some snacks. And plan a time to eat them. Knowing something is available and all I have to do is wait is easier than just say no.
  • khlokins
    khlokins Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Water and tea. Hot tea. Hot beverages can help fill your stomach and reduce your appetite. Just try to avoid sugary drinks. Which is why I suggest tea :)
  • Ktmom19
    Ktmom19 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I second the water. Also, if you are feeling hungry, I think protein helps curb hunger. For me, a hard boiled egg or protein shake does the trick.
  • berlindagger
    berlindagger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've found that taking a super bcomplex when I wake up in the morning has really helped my urge to snack throughout the day. I also have been disciplining myself to only eat when my tummy is rumbling them I snack on healthy stuff. I don't know it makes me appreciate it and pushes me to only put good stuff in
  • Fammy04
    Options
    khlokins wrote: »
    Water and tea. Hot tea. Hot beverages can help fill your stomach and reduce your appetite. Just try to avoid sugary drinks. Which is why I suggest tea :)

I've never heard that. Thank you, I'll give it a try.
  • Fammy04
    Options
    I've found that taking a super bcomplex when I wake up in the morning has really helped my urge to snack throughout the day. I also have been disciplining myself to only eat when my tummy is rumbling them I snack on healthy stuff. I don't know it makes me appreciate it and pushes me to only put good stuff in

Makes sense, thank you. I'll pick up some vitamins after work today. 👍
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Back after a good nights sleep. That rattling around the house agitated eating, especially in the evening when we are tired, or on unstructured weekends, can be a real problem.

I’ve worked on this a lot. There is no one answer. What works today or this week or what’s always worked so far, may not work next time.

Assuming you don’t live alone and just can’t get the less helpful snacks out of the house:

If it’s the weekend and you can, get out of the house.

Find the dirtiest household job and do that.

Put the cut veggies out on the counter so it’s the first thing you see and easiest to grab. Stick the stuff you’re trying to avoid farther back in the cabinet or fridge.

Apples. Yeah some calories but filling and tasty. Also very portable.

Oatmeal. There’s 150 calories in half a cup made with water. Why am I suggesting this? Because I’ve watched myself sometimes make 4 or 5 snack trips into the kitchen on a rainy Saturday. I can scarf down 100+ cals each time in the bat of an eye. 500 extra calories wrecks today and starts to undermine what I did yesterday. The baby carrots aren’t working. Oatmeal will stop this process. The price is 150 calories. But this will end.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Extra peppermint gum. The flavor lasts an "Extra" long time compared to some of the other gum I've tried & I've heard that even the smell of peppermint can help curb your appetite.

https://www.up-nature.com/blogs/news/top-14-amazing-essential-oils-for-weight-loss-and-how-to-use-them
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Plan some snacks. And plan a time to eat them. Knowing something is available and all I have to do is wait is easier than just say no.

This is what I do.

In regards to mindless snacking, it's a habit...unfortunately, breaking habits like that is largely a matter of will. It does help to have a planned snack in a planned amount.